From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Investigate if thread is locked

Is it possible to see if a thrad is locked. I does not have the lock name (not even if one was specified).

I miss a function like "RunState.Thread.IsLocked". Does anyone know if it is possible to get this information?

Thanks Vagn

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,437 Views)

Hi! Looking at the documentation online for the Lock Step, it appears that there are a few properties that only exist if a thread is locked. Lock Step documentation here shows that the Step.Result.TimeoutOccurred property only exists if the thread is locked. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(5,433 Views)

Hi Chantastic

Thanks for the answer but this is only valid for the lock step. If for instance the lock has been done on a subsequence call and I need to figure out inside the sub sequence if the sequence is locked or a previous lock step has locked the thread this information is not available.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,408 Views)

That is not how thread synchronization is typically done. What exactly are you trying to do?

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,393 Views)

Hi Doug

Normally my customers use batchmodel for testing and (for some different reasons) needs to lock threads. Creating functions (typically a sub sequences or just a VI) for my customer i need, in some cases, to know if the thread is locked.

The customer has different options to lock the thread:

- "Lock" step

- "Use Lock to Allow....." in "Synchronization" under step properties

(- "Batch Synchronization -serial"  in "Synchronization" under step properties)

I can't use the suggestion by Chantastic! because I am not in the lock step and if the customer use the "Lock" in the synchronization tab the parameters does not exist.

Hope this answered your question Doug?

Vagn

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,322 Views)

Threads themselves are not locked, but rather they own locks and they can own more than one. Why do you need to know if the thread owns a lock?

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,251 Views)