NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interactive Termination

Solved!
Go to solution

I've run across an interesting scenario that I'm having a hard time explaining why it's occurring: In TestStand v4.2.1 and earlier versions, using the PostAction to terminate based on a custom expression has different behaviors based on how the step is executed. For example:

(to test this, create a new sequence and in the MainSequence, create a statement step. Then set the statement steps Post Actions On Pass: (On Condition True) condition to Terminate execution, check the Use Custom Condition and set the Custom Expression to "True".)

1. From the Execute menu, select Run MainSequence - The result is a terminated execution.

2. Select the step, and from the Execute menu, select Run Selected Steps Using > Single Pass - The result is a passed execution.

3. From the Execute menu, select Run Single Pass - The result is a terminated execution.

I would think that all three should be terminated executions, but the second one shows a passing status.

If you create a sequence in the same file, place the 'terminate' statement in the sequence, add a sequence call to that sequence in the MainSequence, and then use case two above to select and run the sequence call, the execution will show as terminated.

So, it appears that TestStand will not honor the PostAction Terminate event for steps that are directly selected in interactive executions. Is this a feature/bug, or am I missing something?

Message 1 of 7
(4,154 Views)

Hi,

I think there maybe a Configure >> StationOption for Interactive Mode that maybe affecting this. Or It might have some thing to do with one of the Engine Interactive Post Action Callbacks.

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,133 Views)

Hi Ray,

I checked those - none of the Interactive Configuration settings had any effect that I could see, and The Pre/Post Interactive callbacks only run before or after the entire execution, not on a step-by-step basis. I'm thinking this is a 'feature' that's been around for a while, as I was able to confirm it all the way back to v3.1.

I was hoping one of the NI moderators would point out the setting/method to address this - I guess the workaround is to design step groupings that will be run interactively to not use this Post Action feature at the root/selection level.

-Jack

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,096 Views)

Hello,

That is curious, I will runt this by R&D to explain if it is expected behavior or not. Off the top of my head I can't see a good reason for it.

Thanks for your question.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,068 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Captain_Jack

We postulate this to be a bug indeed and a CAR is being documented to R&D. Thanks for your help

National Instruments
Message 5 of 7
(4,005 Views)

I know this thread is pretty old, but does anyone know what version of TestStand this was eventually fixed?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,932 Views)

I recently tested this in TestStand 2016 and unfortunately the bug still exists. Can anyone from NI provide a status on this CAR?

Thanks!

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,895 Views)