From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install using Development license, then switch to Debug license?

Suppose I use a Development license to install and activate LabView/TestStand on a PC during test development for a new product.  Later, when the project is ready for the first attempt at real production, I want to reclaim my Development license for use on a different PC, and I want to use a Debug license with the PC that is about to be deployed with the test station for my new product.
Is there an easy method to just change the license and activation code?  Or do I have to uninstall and re-install . . . and deal with any issues created during that process?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,998 Views)

Hi,

If you have finished with a development license on one system and want to use it on another system, you should remove it from the orignal system. You can get a new activation code for that new system, either via the website, or direct during the installation, or via telephone.

If you then create a new deployment for another target sytem. I think you will need a new deployment license as your original deployment license is still being used on your original target system.

If in doubt speak direct to your local NI representive.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 2 of 9
(3,986 Views)

Thanks for attempting to answer my question Ray.  But apparently I did not do a good job of expressing my question.

I am wondering if there is some way to avoid the development license removal process (uninstall) on the original PC, and instead just twiddle a few bits so that the debug license number and debug activation code are used on that PC.  This is my first project using TestStand, so I do not know how many ".ini" files or other settings might get lost during the unistall (Development) and re-install (Debug) of my LabView and TestStand software.  From my perspective (it's working, don't touch it), it would be best if I could leave everything the exactly the way it is -- except for the license number.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,966 Views)

Hi,

I think all you would have to do is use the NI License Manager to set the TestStand to the debug license and then you can re use you development license else where and remove the development licence file from the system.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,962 Views)
We are not currently taking advantage of the NI Volume Licensing Program at my site.  Is the "NI License Manager" independant software that I can run to reassign license numbers without taking part in the Volume Licensing Program? 
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,961 Views)

Hi,

Its installed as part of your TestStand or other NI products. Its just another way of activating your NI products as you can download the different license files from NI.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,957 Views)

Rich -

Go to Start>>All Programs>>National Instruments>>NI License Manager to access the license manager. Right-click on the license that you want to deactivate to bring up the context menu with the Deactivate command.

- David

Message 7 of 9
(3,958 Views)

Thanks David.  I guess I usually use my desktop shortcuts to launch TestStand and LabView.  I never took notice of the License Manager application.

However, when I right click the "Debug Deployment Environment" text next to the green light, the only choice that shows up is "Activate . . . "

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,937 Views)
Rich -

Something seems broken here. If I understand you correctly, you launch NI License Manager, expand the TestStand 3.5 node, there is a green light next to the Debug Deployment Environment node, you right click on it and the only command in the context menu is Activate.

Is my understanding correct?
Are you using TestStand 3.5 or another version?
Are any other of the TestStand license types (Base Deployment Engine, Development System) activated on the system?
If you left click on Debug Deployment Environment, what is the Value of the Status Attribute displayed in the grid on the right side of the NI License Manager window?

- David
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,925 Views)