From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import and exporting steps in TestStand

Hi,
I have created some steps with properties, variables in my subSequence, using the Tools>import/export properties, I exported the sequence and its properties to a.txt file. The txt files contains the corresponding sequence, step type, and other property related values. I plan to use this txt file as a Template for my future sequences by just importing the file back to a new Sequence.

After importing the txt file, to the new sequence only the variables were imported, and the new sequence step field was empty and no steps were imported.

I also tried writing a code module in labview that adds a new sequence to an existing sequence file using invoke and property nodes but couldn't find the option of loading existing steps.

Does anyone know how I can successfully export and import steps to testStand? or an alternative solution without having to manually having to copy and renaming subsequences.

Thanks
David

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,996 Views)

Step Templates is going to be the easiest route:
Capture.PNG

Your code module route is also probably possible by cloning another step object in memory. You'll have to load the SequenceFile that contains your existing steps, then get a reference to the step you want and clone it.

Hope this helps!

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
Message 2 of 3
(3,969 Views)

Hey there,

The Import/Export Properties tool will only import the step limits and settings if those steps already exist in your Sequence File. It does not create the steps when you do this. This tool is used for the ease of modifying variables and test limits without running through every sequence manually. This is also a good way of reusing the same set of tests for differing products based on specific test requirements.

There are examples of creating TestStand sequences from either an XML or an INI file. Depending on your current version, you'll find them in the <Teststand Public>\Examples folder.

In 2016 you'll find these under the section for the TestStand API, or these is a TestStand Sequence Builder Tool section in earlier releases. You can save your template Sequence file as an XML or INI by modifying the File Format under Edit>Sequence File Properties. This will allow you to use the TestStand API to create a sequence file using that template and its steps as a basis.

Nic

--------
Nico
Systems Engineer

Certified TestStand Architect Certified LabVIEW Architect

Message 3 of 3
(3,953 Views)