NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import Testand configuration

I've configured the station options, report options, global variables, etc. but  it seems that they are not saved in a workspace or sequence file.

I found where those get stored in these forum: https://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-TestStand/Export-Report-Options-in-Sequence-file-deployment/td-p/3062172...

Is there a way to import these configurations into teststand? we have several people working on the same project on different computers. we are using GIT as a source control and to share the progress, how can we share the configuration of teststand? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,020 Views)

I would highly advise against sharing TestStand configuration.  You will run into more problems than you will solve.  Trust me on this one...I've been there and tried that for like 2 days.  The problem is that they get saved so often (serioulsy every time you open and close TestStand) that everyone will be bombarded with dialogs and other warnings.

However, environments are a great way for someone to get their machine into different states quickly.   You could set a baseline for each project and then when someone moves to a different project they could copy down and use that project's environment.

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/54263/en/

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 7
(2,009 Views)

I will try that right now and reply with the results

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(1,949 Views)

Ok So I was able to create an environment but then how can I import or copy that environment i created to a workspace? What I mean is how can another person use that environemt I created in their workspace, how can they import it?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(1,944 Views)

you cannot use it in a workspace.  The cfg gets loaded when the engine starts, long before workspaces are loaded. 

You could put it on a shared drive and create a shortcut to TestStand that loads that environment.  Or you could distribute with source code control, like GIT. 

I want to make it very clear though.  It is a bad idea to share configurations.  Developers will continually be tromping on each other's cfg files because like I said earlier, TestStand is constantly writing them.

My recommendation is that you get it set up how you like it and create a .nipkg that will install it to a certain location including a shortcut that loads a certain environment.  That way people working on the project will just need to install that package and click ont he shortcut.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(1,940 Views)

Ok do you have a guide on how to create a shortcut that loads an environment? also a quide on hot to create a .nipkg?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(1,930 Views)

This link shows how to start the sequence editor with a defined environment:

https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052R-01/tsfundamentals/infotopics/tsenv_choosing/

You can just create a shortcut on your desktop, or wherever, and pass that argument to the sequence editor.

As for NIPM you are opening a whole new can of worms there.  If you aren't currently using it then you might not want to move to it.  Instead of a .nipkg you can just us a batch file to copy the folder you need to the proper locations on the local machine.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(1,883 Views)