NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've probleme in use database with TestStand 1.0p2. Could you help me, please?

Helped by TestStand 1.0p2 User Manual (Chapter 17-Managing Databases), I tried to send report results to a 'Microsoft Access' database and I do it successfully using 'Edit Database Options' dialog box.
Then I have tried to communicate with database manualy using steps of database.seq ('Open Database', 'Open SQL Statement', 'SQL Action', 'Close SQL Statement' and 'Close Database'). In a first time, I succeed to 'set and put' somes records to the databases, but now, I can't do it again because TestStand don't run correctly anymore.
'Open SQL Statement' step find my database tables but not their columns. I removed TestStand and installed it again then patch2 but no changes app
ears. I created a new database, and when I use 'Create Tables...' control button of 'Edit Database Options' dialog box, then clic on 'Create' button (As I did first time when it has worked), an error message appears : "Automation error code -2147352573 0x80020003 Unknown Error'.

Do you know what could be the probleme and can you help me to solve it please ?

nota bene : If it is a bug, you may advise me to update TestStand to 2.0 version. THOMSON should do it in several month, but I want to use database with TestStand1.0p2 before if it is possible.

Best Regards

Nicolas Toublanc for Laurent Ferry
Industrialization
THOMSON TELEVISION ANGERS
FRANCE
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,070 Views)
Hi,

It could be you have two problems.
Your original problem may have been due to a corrupted database file.

The second problem is probably due to the uninstalling and re-installing TestStand and patch.

I would suggest:
1) remove the sub folder from \Components\User folder. Copy the folders from the \Components\NI folder to the \User folder. Launch TestStand and try out the Example for Database use. If that works then check out your origin problem.

If it fails then -

2) I would suggest uninstalling teststand. Rebooting your PC. Then make sure all traces of it are removed from your hard drive. Make sure you back up any data in the TestStand\...\User folders.

Then reinstall TestStand and patch.

Then using one of the examples for database. See if everything w
orks. Follow the example in the Database Components PDF file - Example Data Link and Result Table For Microsoft Access.

Good Luck
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,070 Views)
I've complely removed TestStand, re-install it and patch it again, but I've not solve my problem. What can I try to do?
Nicolas TOUBLANC for Laurent FERRY
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,070 Views)
Ferryl,

I am not sure what is causing the error -2147352573, Unknown Error. I wish it were more specific.

It has been a long time since TS 1.0 (perhaps 3 years ago). In fact, the database component of TestStand 1.0 was only a **beta** version. In TestStand 1.0.1 the database component became released version. TestStand 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 were free upgrades from TS 1.0, but I don't know if that offer remains since TS 2.0 has released.

I read the readme file for patch 2 that you mention. It doesn't mention any database fixes. There is another download that is TS 1.0 database fix, but I don't know if this is related to your problem:

ftp://ftp.ni.com/support/teststand/updates/1.0/database_32.zip

The database step types in TestStand call into the CVI SQL toolkit. I believe that TestStand 1.0 shipped with version 2.0 of this toolkit. There were fixes to this toolkit that was release in version 2.0.5. Your problem could be related to it.

You could try downloading the latest version of MDAC from Microsoft. There are known problems in earlier versions. MDAC provide ADO (ActiveX Data Object) through which TestStand database communication occurs.

http://www.microsoft.com/data/download_260rtm.htm

WAIT!!! I just read the following in National Instrument KB article 1WGG8TSR. If you have Windows 2000 then this may be the problem. If you don't have Windows 2000 then you may not want to install a more recent version of MDAC, which will definitely not work with CVI SQL 2.0.3 or earlier as described below. If not Win 2000 another application may have installed a more recent version of MDAC.

"MDAC version 2.5, which is included in Windows 2000, is not compatible with the CVI SQL Toolkit version 2.0.3 or earlier. Both the CVI toolkit and the TestStand database components were non-functional. TestStand 1.0.2 fixes this problem by installing the CVI SQL Toolkit version 2.0.5."

By the way, TestStand 1.0.2 shipped with CVI SQL toolkit version 2.0.5. For this and other reasons TS 1.0.2 is required if you are using Windows 2000 operating system.

There was another customer discussion on Developer Exchange regarding this error. If you go to www.ni.com/exchange and type in the question "SQL 2.0 and CVI 5.5", the third posting talks about your error. Keep in mind that your error is very generic and may have a different cause than the one being discussed.

The best solution is to upgrade from the beta version of the TS database software you are trying to use. This means using TS 1.0.1 or later.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,070 Views)