NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I need to reinstall max, but at this point, how?

First some background...

I'm installing a new digitizer into a PXI-based setup.  I installed NI Scope v3.8.7, as it came with the digitizer and the instructions directed that I should install it, first.  Upon restart (what the instructions said to do after the install) Windows found new hardware (and, per the instructions, I'd NOT installed any new hardware yet.)  Based on the evidence, Windows seemed to need to update many drivers after that new NI Scope installation; after clicking to auto- find them all, one by one, I finally got to the point where the new hardware could finally be installed.  Then, per the instructions again, I powered down and unplugged the PXI chassis etc.  I next installed the new hardware (digitizer.)  Windows responded with the new hardware wizard upon powering it all back up again, and auto found the necessary software.  Following this Windows responded that the new hardware had been installed and was ready to use.  At Windows seemed satisfied.

Now my issue...

I happily clicked Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX), a tool that'd been used for some time in the past, and that's when my turmoil began.  MAX threw an exception, but based on my searches here, NI has never heard of it despite it being known (MAXKnownException....sounds like something known, to me that is.)  Searching some more based on the exception description I found instructions saying I should create a report for NI as well as pass on the log and dump files for the exception.  I was told I could do this (create the HTML report) from the command line, but the most I found I could do from the command line was run MAX.  But this is a problem, because in the target system (I was going through the sequence on a different machine, first,) the PXI system, MAX doesn't run.  Rather, it goes through the motions; it starts, intializes, loads plug ins and then throws the exception that NI doesn't recognize (or so it seems to me.)  Continuing after the exception (on the target machine,) an option given to the user, does no good, for "Devices and Interfaces" doesn't expand; rather, just freezes with an hourglass (I think it was.)

So I'm thinking my next step with this target system should be to reinstall MAX (I just downloaded it, I think -- syscfg120full.exe -- notice how the filename says nothing about MAX???,) but as yet I haven't determined if anything should be uninstalled, first, before reinstalling MAX, particularly MAX itself.  Should the old MAX be uninstalled, first?  Or is it acceptable to reinstall MAX over itself, despite any past learned knowledge with other software?  Does the installer check for old versions and adjust itself, etc?  Is anything I'm saying sounding familiar?  If I shouldn't reinstall MAX to at least have a functioning MAX to work with to get moving with the new hardware, then what should I do instead?  My goal at this stage of the game is to install and test the new hardware, before I start in on the coding, the unknown territory.  Right now what's expected to be functioning doesn't function, so I can't move forward.               

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,405 Views)

No, I don't know if this post is in the correct forum.  Feel free to move it if necessary.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,404 Views)

I just found a reference to reinstalling MAX via uninstalling using Add/Rmove Programs and then reinstalling.  Therefore, it seems at least one person has had success with this route, so that's what I'm going to do, as opposed to reinstalling one on top of the other which just seems wrong advice for users, namely me.  Hopefully I can move forward after, (assuming I have the correct download.) 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,399 Views)

No, this isn't the correct forum and no, you don't have the correct download.

MAX is simply a front end for the NI drivers. If you repair/reinstall NI Scope, you will be doing the same for MAX. At this point you might be better off giving NI support a call before you get too far down the rabbit hole.

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,395 Views)

Beat ya to it! 🙂   (Just got your response after calling support.)  However, thanks.

Rabbit hole *chuckle*  You can say that again!  ...it said "drink me" in the instruction booklet...

BTW, I'm now at "what does Error 1921 mean?" ...after getting the "correct" NI MAX. ...needed 5.0.0 ...at least.

And it wouldn't be right if I didn't end with that I'm, next, following a lead which says "net stop mxssvr" is where I need to go.  ...ya gotta love it... 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,391 Views)

Thanks for the links (haven't followed yet.)  Upon my latest above, I'm now at System Error 1051.

Now I'll go read your links.

Oh this is so much fun *end sarcasm*

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,385 Views)

Incidentally (and this is mainly for others who happen along this thread in the future,) via support I've been told this isn't a MAX database corruption issue.  ...but it aint over till it's over...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,383 Views)