From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use Evaluate with NewSubProperty

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to use Evaluate with NewSubProperty, but I am getting an error message

More Details:

1- A step - in runtime - will create a container in 'StationGlobals.TM_Parameters_In_Global'. The name of container is defined in runtime.

#NoValidation(RunState.Main.StationGlobals.TM_Parameters_In_Global.NewSubProperty(Locals.TM_Name,PropValType_Container,False,"",PropOption_DoNothingIfExists)) 

2- The next step will create a new field in the above created container.

#NoValidation(Evaluate("RunState.Main.StationGlobals.TM_Parameters_In_Global." + Parameters.TMname + ".NewSubProperty(" + Locals.ExtractedTM_ParameterValues[Locals.LoopIndex].ParameterName + ",PropValType_Number,False," + Locals.EmptyString + ",PropOption_DoNothingIfExists)")) 

and I am getting the following error message:

Severity	Rule	Category	Text	File	Location	Justification to Ignore
Error	Expressions must evaluate to a value of the expected type	General	Error in argument 1, 'Evaluate("RunState.Main.StationGlobals.TM_Parameters_In_Global." + Parameters.TMname + ".NewSubProperty(" + Locals.ExtractedTM_ParameterValues[Locals.LoopIndex].ParameterName + "\,PropValType_Number\,False\," + Locals.EmptyString + "\,PropOption_DoNothing, in call to the expression function '#NoValidation'.
Error in call to expression function 'Evaluate'.
Unexpected token: \	TM_GetGlobalParam_Rev2.0.0.0.seq	Seq["CreateUniqueParameters"].Main["Create_TM_container"].TS.PostExpr	<None>

3- by the way, the following code works without problem (by hard coding the container name in 'StationGlobals.TM_Parameters_In_Global')

#NoValidation(Evaluate("RunState.Main.StationGlobals.TM_Parameters_In_Global.TM_FPU_HF_Prepare_OpenLoop.NewSubProperty(" +  Locals.ExtractedTM_ParameterValues[Locals.LoopIndex].ParameterName + ",PropValType_Number,False, \"\",PropOption_DoNothingIfExists)"))

any advice how can I fix the code mentioned in step 2?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,544 Views)

HI,

I would set a breakpoint and cut the code into pieces, and test the parts in runtime in the watch expression pane.

Like test the following:

Evaluate("RunState.Main.StationGlobals.TM_Parameters_In_Global." + Parameters.TMname + ".NewSubProperty(" + Locals.ExtractedTM_ParameterValues[Locals.LoopIndex].ParameterName + ",PropValType_Number,False," + Locals.EmptyString + ",PropOption_DoNothingIfExists)")

If this is also causing error, then smaller parts.

I'm sure you will find the error. 

bigyo

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,512 Views)

The expressions in 'expression watch' seems to be fine. but still an exception is generated

hbs_80_0-1606395239043.png

I attached the sequence file for reference.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,499 Views)

The question is what would you like to achieve?

I don't really get why you want to use Evaluate function

bigyo

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,487 Views)

1- I want to create a container dynamically in run time (container name comes -in run time- from database)

2- I want to create fields in the above created container dynamically in run time (field name also comes -in run time- from database)

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,484 Views)

When I'm creating variables in runtime I create in Locals, not StationGlobals.

I don't use Evaluate, only create with NewSubProperty, like the following:

PropertyExists("Locals.NewVar") ? "" : RunState.ThisContext.Locals.NewSubProperty("NewVar",PropValType_Number,True,"",0)

In case of creating subproperty to a property, you have to specify the property object right, so you can create new property in that one.

bigyo

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,465 Views)
Solution
Accepted by hbs_80

Thanks to NI support, here is the solution (just in case someone else faced the same issue):

The method NewSubProperty expect the 'lookupString' as string: Reference link

PropertyObject.NewSubProperty ( lookupString, ValueType, asArray, typeNameParam, options) 

therefore, it is needed to add additional \" around the 'lookupString' as shown below:

RunState.Main.AsPropertyObject.Evaluate("StationGlobals.TM_Parameters_In_Global." + Parameters.TMname + ".NewSubProperty(\"" + Locals.ExtractedTM_ParameterValues[Locals.LoopIndex].ParameterName + "\", PropValType_Number, False, \"\", PropOption_DoNothingIfExists)")

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,437 Views)

Thank you, was very helpful for me. Because your example is very complex, here a more simple one:

It deletes the half of the Variable array "NoLoadCurrentIO".

Locals.ActualReportArrayName="NoLoadCurrentI0" //This variable is used very often, not only here

Locals.TempString = "Locals.Report."+Locals.ActualReportArrayName,
Locals.TempNum = GetNumElements(Evaluate(Locals.TempString)),
Locals.TempString = "Locals.Report."+Locals.ActualReportArrayName,
RunState.Main.AsPropertyObject.Evaluate(Locals.TempString+ ".DeleteElements(Locals.TempNum/2,Locals.TempNum/2)")
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,376 Views)