From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to undeploy with ASAM XIL Steps

Hello,

I'm using Teststand 2017 to control VeriStand 2018.0 via ASAM XIL Steps for Teststand. I've been able to deploy a project, run some RT sequences and so on. The only thing I'm unable to accomplish is an undeploy hat the end of my tests.

Can anyone help me as to how to undeploy VeriStand from Teststand?

Thanks,

MaWei

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,292 Views)

HI MaWei,

Have you looked into the Target Script Destroy on Target and Target Script Clean up steps?

You do also have the ability to use the VeriStand API in LabVIEW (or other programming Language) and deploy/undeploy from there in a code module, then call the undeploy code module from TestStand. 

Dane S.
Product Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,225 Views)

Hi Dane,

thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I've expressed myself a bit badly. I don't want to undeploy the RT Sequence (which works fine using the suggested steps), but the whole System Definition File from my Real Time target.

Regards,

MaWei

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,194 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem, I can deploy a project using the ASAM XIL Steps, before this I used the Veristand Steps for TestStand from GitHub; with this there were a step to close veristand (undeploy the project and Close Veristand App)

Is it possible to do the same using ASAM XIL Steps?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,699 Views)

I am looking into this same thing.  I know how to do it with the LabVIEW API but I was hoping not to have to use LabVIEW.  Is there anyway to accomplish this with the ASAM XIL steps or directly in TestStand?  I know this is an old topic but it was never answered.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,002 Views)

I have the same problem. I saw in the ASAM XIL Teststand examples, that it works when you select "From Manifest" instead of " From VeriStand project" in the "Framework Create" step of ASAM XIL. It seems to work because of to the <UndeployVeriStandProjectOnDisconnect> flag in the port configuration XML file, which is supportet since Veristand R4 (see https://forums.ni.com/t5/VeriStand/Announcing-VeriStand-2020-R5/td-p/4148076).

However, is there also a solution if one uses the "NI Veristand project" step of ASAM XIL? If not, I would be willing to use the Manifest method. However, i would need to create a mapping XML file for all channels in the Veristand project. Since my project has too many channels to perform this manually, is it possible to extract the mapping XML file from Veristand?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(1,606 Views)

I actually opened an NI ticket about this question.  I have to go back through my notes so I can provide you the information.  I will try to get to it later today.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,604 Views)

That would be amazing, David.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,547 Views)

I reviewed my ticket and I was hoping I forgot something but their feedback was there is no way to undeploy the project with ASAM when called "from Project".  The response was that ASAM does not provide specific support for this.

As you discovered you can undeploy the project when using a manifest.  All the options when using a manifest are listed here: https://www.ni.com/docs/en-US/bundle/veristand/page/asam-xil-port-configuration-tag.html.

I found that the maintenance required to use a manifest did not meet my needs so I continued to use "from Project".  The project I used this method on never progressed far enough for me to cleanup closing the project but my plan was to use the LabVIEW VeriStand API to undeploy and close the project.  I have used this method on earlier version of VeriStand/TestStand that did not include support for ASAM XIL.

David Wilt
The New Standard LLC
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,505 Views)

@david, thank you very much for taking the time to review your notes. I was hoping for a clean and easy solution similar to the manifest. We also do not want to invest the required maintenance for a manifest compared to the Veristand Project. Therefore, I will use a workaround to solve the problem (although it will not be as nice as I was hoping).

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(1,492 Views)