cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to interface TestStand with AMC DriveWare®

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to interface TestStand with third party tools, in particular AMC DriveWare®:

http://www.a-m-c.com/products/driveware.html

and if there is some ready-to-use driver on the NI site, or at least some how-to tutorials.

Thanks,

Best regards,

Elena B

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,920 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ElenaB

Looking at the link you provided, i come up with the following assumptions:

1. No, you cannot include the GUI of that software in TestStand. I understand that the GUI is configuration and functional test tool, so it should be necessary for running motion control with that software from another application (TestStand based application)

2. The webpage does not provide information about the driver layer of that software. The requirements state ".Net framework 4.0". That means that at least one component of the software is written in .NET based language (C# or VB.NET). It could be the GUI, but it could also be the software API. Maybe you can collect more information on that

3. If the API is C/C++ or .NET based, you can call it directly from TestStand. However, i do recommend to write methods which abstract driver level functionality. You can use LV, CVI, C/C++ or .NET for these modules and call them from TestStand

There is no tutorial or example for this specific software combination. Depending on your investigation results to above mentioned thoughts, there are tutorials which show you the general approach (e.g. calling LV VIs or a DLL from TS, ...).

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,915 Views)

Dear Norbert,

thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Best regards,

Elena

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,896 Views)

Elena,

i am surprised that you already consider this to be a solution. Are you already able to use that software from TS?

I have to make a correction to my post:

@Norbert_B wrote:

Looking at the link you provided, i come up with the following assumptions:

1. No, you cannot include the GUI of that software in TestStand. I understand that the GUI is configuration and functional test tool, so it (hopefully) should NOT be necessary for running motion control with that software from called by another application (TestStand based application)

[...]

The corrections are marked with red color.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,892 Views)

Hi,

I have understood that a good method to interface with third party tools is through API (if they are available).

Our customer told us yesterday evening that they don't need integration with DriveWare anymore, but probably with another new tool in the future. So I can consider your suggestion on how to proceed as a potential clue for next integrations, and for the moment close the topic here. 🙂

Thank you again,

Best regards,

Elena

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,887 Views)