NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get the Runstate variable of an external sequence called from the Client Sequence through Sequencecall?

Hi,

I need to change the runtime high and lo limit values of all the tests of the client sequence file before running it. My sequence file is having a SequenceCall which calls an external sequence. Can anyone tell me how to change/access the High and lo limit values of the external sequence test steps?

Thanks,

Jeyan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,835 Views)

It would probably be better to do one of the following:

1) Pass the limits in as parameters to the sequence

or

2) Use propertyloader to load the limits.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,830 Views)

I'll second option 1. Make your limits variables and pass the data in when you call it.

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,826 Views)

Doug,

Thanks for the suggestion. Passing the parameters as limit values is a good option.

Unfortunately there are lots of sequences which had been developed. None wants to change it now. We have to load different limit values for different end models. Ultimately the sequence remains same but limit changes and as I said the sequence is there and we dont want to alter it by adding parameters. Is there a way we can load limits (only runtime) to the external sequence file's test steps?

Thanks,

Jeyan

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,819 Views)

@Jeyan wrote:

Doug,

Thanks for the suggestion. Passing the parameters as limit values is a good option.

Unfortunately there are lots of sequences which had been developed. None wants to change it now. We have to load different limit values for different end models. Ultimately the sequence remains same but limit changes and as I said the sequence is there and we dont want to alter it by adding parameters. Is there a way we can load limits (only runtime) to the external sequence file's test steps?

Thanks,

Jeyan

PropertyLoader is designed to be able to load limits dynamically (at runtime) like this.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,809 Views)

Doug,

I used the property loader method but I could not load the limits of any sub sequence call calling an external sequence file.

I took the FlowRate_test.seq example from the NI Example folder "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 4.2.1\Examples\PropertyLoader\LoadingLimits\LimitsFromExcelFile\UsingCVI". I created a sequence called PumpTest.seq in the same folder path. I then moved the Pump Test step from the FlowRate_test.seq to the PumpTest.seq. Now created a sequence call in the FlowRate_test.seq and called the PumpTest.Seq as the module path. When I execute the FlowRate_test.seq , I get the error as shown below:

Error

Attached is the Flowrate_Test.seq and the PumpTest.seq which should be there in the folder path "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\National Instruments\TestStand 4.2.1\Examples\PropertyLoader\LoadingLimits\LimitsFromExcelFile\UsingCVI".

Let me know whether I am doing something wrong in this method. 

My idea is to alter the runstate variable High and Low of Pump Test in the PumpTest.seq and then run the Flowrate_Test.seq.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,784 Views)

You need to split the limits for each file into separate excel files (or separate sections of the same file with different tags). You can then load the limits from the root file for the subsequence file as follows:

1) Copy the limit loader step, creating a new step for the subsequence file (you can put it right below the original step if you like).

2) Edit the new limit loader step as follows:

a) uncheck the "Import to Run-time Sequence Only" setting.

b) set the sequence file to "PumpTest.seq" (including the quotes)

c) on the source tab change the filename to the file that contains the limits for your subsequence.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,774 Views)