NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force TestStand to ignore LabVIEW errors

Hi,

usually where there is an error in the LabVIEW code module TestStand stops and gives a pouup message .

Is there any way to force TestStand to ignore LabVIEW errors and contiouse testing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(6,722 Views)

Select the offending step.

Click on Run Options in the Properties tab

Check Ignore Run-Time Errors

OR

You could handle it in the SequenceFilePostStepRuntimeError callback: http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052K-01/tssuppref/infotopics/callbacks_sequencefilepostst...

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(6,721 Views)
Another option is to convert the error out in the VI to a step failure. I did this at one place so that errors could be saved in the database in the same manner as a measurement failure. By ignoring errors, you don't have any idea how much of a problem you have.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(6,704 Views)

You can also work more globally - go to the Configure menu item and select Station Options.

At the bottom of the execution tab, there's a section for what to do on Run-time errors. -> Show dialog, Cleanup, Ignore or Abort.

Whilst not specific to steps configured to use the LabVIEW adapter (assuming you're mixing some programming languages) that at least get you continuing on to the next step without the dialog.

If you need to assess if it's specifically LabVIEW modules causing the error, then you need to use the Station, Process Model or Sequence File callback for On run-time error, and the step gets passed as a parameter. That would allow you to work out if the step was LabVIEW specifically and then make a decision as to what to do next.

Hope that helps.

// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(6,678 Views)

Don't pass the error out (LabVIEW) to  step.result.error (Teststand) so that TestStand Process model cannot get the error. popup will not appear.

I suggest to handle the error in a proper way. 

I will be running another set of error handling code in TestStand on the cause of error, since ATE used to run days and nights, we cannot sit with the automation station to click the popup window :).

Thanks & Regards

Varaprasath M
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(6,468 Views)

you can also design your own error popup window and place it in SequenceFilePostStepRuntimeError Callback design your error popup window that it has a timeout with it. after timeout it selectes ignore if now manual event on your custom popup has occured. 

Thanks & Regards

Varaprasath M
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(6,467 Views)

I know this tread is old and the answer won't be interesting to the thread starter any more.

But the tread will show up in search results of others...

Maybe the thread starter meanwhile also found that there is one more important thing that is wise to consider when one ignores errors:

If you ignore an error, then you are IGNORING the error ("ignoring" is not "solving").

Just imagine you are sitting in a twin-engine turboprop on it's way to your holiday insula and the plane just starts to fly over open waters.

The left engine starts to shake wildly and makes non-funny noises.

Would you really want the pilot to say: "Copilot - please silence these alarm horns and switch the red blinking lights off. I want to move on without such disturbance."

I guess not.

If he says the same about a failing inflight entertainment system you can live (and survive) much better with such an answer.

Selecting "ignore error", not connecting error clusters and alike is the same as if the pilot would switch off the warning system. He won't get ANY alert - be it harmless or grave.

If you ignore errors in your programs think first wheter you are shutting off the equivalent of only the inflight entertainment system status alert, the engine warning light or even the master caution.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,042 Views)