From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to extract button name after message popup step completed?

Hello!

I wonder is it possible to get the pressed button name from "message popup"? It is easy to get button index, but I don't find a way to get buttons array. Is it possible to get buttonNlabel substituting N from button hit?

Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,347 Views)

Sure, just build an expression to do it. For example from the following step you could use:

Evaluate(Evaluate("RunState.PreviousStep.Button" + str(RunState.PreviousStep.Result.ButtonHit) + "Label"))

The inner Evaluate returns the expression for the button label, which is usually a string constant. The outer Evaluate evaluates that expression, which in the case of a string constant just removes the quotes.

Message 2 of 6
(4,340 Views)
Exactly what I asked for Smiley Happy
Thank you very much!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,314 Views)

This expression causes TestStand to crash if the close button on the popup is clicked

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,182 Views)

Hi Sumit,

Can you clarify more of what you are doing in TestStand and what the close button is doing on the popup? 

I was not able to recreate what you are seeing. The expression evaluated fine for me in TestStand 2017. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,157 Views)

Hi Roxana,

I am trying to log the text of the button that was clicked by the user. The button number does not help when I want to know why the user selected that option. Within the pop-up message step, I use the following to evaluate the button text in "Additional Results": 

#NoValidation, Evaluate(Evaluate("Step.Button"+Str(Step.Result.ButtonHit)+"Label"))

This evaluation will give an error if the close button on the pop-up window is clicked.

However, I have found the mistake I was making. In the "Button Options" section I select a button for "Cancel Button". If I select "None" here then the close option in the pop-up window is disabled and the user has to select one of the provided buttons.

Thanks

Sumit

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,067 Views)