NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Configure VeriStand System Definition file using TestStand?

My VeriStand project has a "custom device" in which I can configure "HW name (e.g.)" field in “Custom Device Item Settings” from System Definition using System Explorer window. I would like to configure it from TestStand, not from VS. Is it possible? If so, how? I was looking at some documentation that talks about the .NET APIs and “NationalInstruments.VeriStand.SystemDefinitionAPI.dll”. But there is no real instructions how to do this in TS.

I know how to call a VS project in TS using "Open VeriStand Project" and "ASAM XIL" API. In this way, I can configure the values of the custom device channels. But here, I would like to configure the items in the system definition which is usually done before "Deploy" of a VS project.

Any help/advice appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,750 Views)

In full disclosure I haven't ever really used VeriStand so I'm not that familiar with it.  However, I just installed it and it looks like it puts that assembly in the GAC.  I just threw down a .NET step in TestStand and was able to use that assembly to create objects and manipulate them.  Not knowing what I'm doing with VeriStand it's hard for me to give you the precise instructions for changing configuration. But if that API allows it then it is definitely possible.  

If you knew what configuration you were changing specifically or how to complete the task in .NET then it would be easy to translate into TestStand.

You might want to check with the folks in the VeriStand forums to see if they have the calls to make into the API?

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(1,697 Views)

Hello Bright_Star,

The system definition is a kind of offline definition. When you deploy your definition, VeriStand is doing a lot of stuff (copying files, seding configuration, synchronizing targets, and so on...). ASAM Steps are then an access to the running system, with "live data".

So if you want to modify your system definition (a parameter of your Custom Device), yes, you can programmatically edit your system definition, but you have to do so before deploying it. I guess it is possible.

To do so, the API is an option. If it is just for one parameter, you may imagine another option using LabVIEW XML functions (XPath to get the expected node, edit it with the expected HW value, save). This method is a bit dirty, but if the parameter is linked to a Custom Device, I'm not sure that the VeriStand API will be much easier.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,696 Views)