NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does TS log an array of custom container type to a database?

I know TS will log things like string arrays as a record in the prop_binary table or containers as individual records per element in the prop_result table, but how does (or does it even) log arrays of container?

I can see a top-level entry in my prop_result table for the array of container but I don't see any associated child property records or prop_binary records.

Does this sort of data require some customization of the built in schema/logging sequences in order to log it in the DB?

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,646 Views)

Hi @blackburnite,

1. What version of TestStand are you using?

2. How are you logging the array of containers? 

3. What type of data is found in these containers? 

You may want to refer to TestStand Help: Logging Binary and String Database Values to better understand how all of the data types are handled for different arrays of containers. More specifically, the table on this page states that binary logging of Array of Container (Heterogeneous with Number, Boolean, and String elements, Array of Number elements, Array of Boolean elements, and Array of String elements only) is not supported. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,588 Views)

Sounds like you will need a modified schema with a new table. I had to do exactly that to log custom containers. I created a "PROP_USERBIN" table that I use to log picture data as well as custom containers. The major downside of this method is that I can't get my containers back out natively in TestStand. I have to read it using LabVIEW, convert into whatever datatype I am expecting, then pass in to TestStand. There were a few other weird things I had to do. If you want to know more let me know... it gets a little long to explain.

Corey Rotunno

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,562 Views)

I created a simple test using TestStand 2016 using the insert schema.  An array of containers was logged as individual records (1 record per array element with 1 record for each element of the container) in the Prop_Result table.  Here is a picture of the results,

Capture.JPG

This example is clearly a simple array.  When you tested and only saw the top-level container in the Prop_Result table did you start from an empty table or did you use a filtered query?  If filtered query are you confident it was accurate?

Herrlin

Just trying to spread the LabVIEW love.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,465 Views)

Yea I get the same thing as well now which is what I expected TS was doing in the first place.  The problem was the actual execution of the steps due to a combination of running in a debug environment and a variety of pre/post expressions, lopping, etc.  In some cases the results wouldn't be logged because of how a step happened to execute given a specific situation.

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,460 Views)