NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i debug teststand 17502 errors?

Dear Teststand-Users,

i'm using Teststand (mostly 3.5) with some self-written code modules to handle relay cards and DMM/MUX and communications cards. Those are DLLs written in CVI. The tests are most long-time running tests using the BatchModel.

From time to time i get an -17502 error. Sometimes at weird locations in the model. I never managed to find the cause, cause it appears too rarely. But there's an article in the NI knowledge base how to debug it: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A92CF6B69941B35D862568D900693DF5

That article is rather old and i tried it with the Visual Studio 2010 C++ Express and Teststand 2010SP1 on a Windows XP SP3 machine.

Unfortunally, the descriptions about the Exception settings is not valid anymore. I activated all exceptions in the Exceptions-Dialog and i get some exceptions from the user interface of Teststand but the attached example does not work. That example raises a "division by zero" exception. The exception is not appearing in VS, it still raises the commonly known "Runtime Error" dialog of Teststand.

My aim is to find the root cause of that error. Any ideas? Maybe i have to set something in TS or Visual Studio to get the er

Best regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,992 Views)

I'm not sure what the express version of visual C++ supports or not but Visual Studio 2010 has an option in the Exceptions dialog that you should also be checking "Win32 Exceptions" and you might also want to check "Native Runtime Checks" in that dialog as well.

Keep in mind that crashes happening in random unrelated code (especially if it's happening in the unmodified teststand process model) likely indicates that you have a problem with memory getting corrupted. This can happen if you don't get dll prototypes you are calling exactly correct or if you have some native code that is incorrectly managing or accessing memory.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,959 Views)