NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I save a type for a previous version of TestStand (4.0 --> 3.5)?

I have a number of step-types saved in a type file, in TestStand 4.  I would like to use this file in TestStand 3.5.  Is there any way of saving this file for TestStand 3.5.  I have gone into each step-type and custom-type defined in the type file, and under the Version tab, selected the "Set earliest TestStand Version that can use this type", to 3.5.0.725.  However, still this file is not openable in TestStand 3.5.

Thanks
Christopher Farmer

Certified LabVIEW Architect and LabVIEW Champion
DQMH Trusted Advisor
https://wiredinsoftware.com.au

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,244 Views)
Hi,

Are you using the files in <TestStand 4>\Components\Compatibility\<VersionNumber> in your TS3.5?

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,244 Views)
No.

How does one do that?
Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,240 Views)

Hi,

Use the version of the file(s) found in your TS4.0 folder at  \Compatibility\<VersionNumber> and copy them to your TS3.5 folder found at <TestStand>\Cfg\TypePalettes.

Remember to bake up your folders before you starts.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,236 Views)
Hi Ray,

So, what I've justr tried is this:

Copied types from TS 4\Components\NI\Compatibility\3.5 to TS 4\Components\NI\Type Pallettes

Open TS4 and opened up my type file. - What exactly do I need to do here, if anything?

Saved all.

Copy types from TS 4\Components\NI\Type Pallettes to TS 3.5\Components\NI\Type Pallettes.

Open TS 3.5 - error loading types!

Thanks for all of your help on this!
Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,201 Views)

Hi Chris,

You need to copy from TS 4\Components\NI\Compatibility\3.5 to <TestStand3.5>\Cfg\TypePalettes.
( they are not saved in the save place as TestStand4.0, you dont need to do anything to the TS 4\Components\NI\Type Pallettes  folder)

Then switch to your TestStand 3.5 and open TestStand 3.5.
You dont have to do anything with your TestStand 4

Regards
Ray
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,198 Views)
Hi Ray,

I've just tried this suggestion, but was still unsuccessful.

I copied the Types as you suggested. I even copied the types into <TestSTand 3.5>\Components\NI\TypePalettes as well.

I opened up TestStand 3.5, opened the Types Palette.

I then customised the palette, and tried to add the problematic type file.

It still says that the type file was saved in TestStand 4, and is incompatible with TestStand 3.5

Thanks for your on-going assistance!

Message Edited by Chris_Farmer on 08-08-2008 10:13 AM
Christopher Farmer

DQMH Trusted Advisor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,121 Views)

Hi Chris,

Ok, I'll have a look at this later today and get back to you.

Regards

Ray

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,102 Views)
Hello Chris,

You have a couple of options for doing this. The first option is a workaround explained in this KnowledgeBase Article:

KnowledgeBase: Saving Type Palette For Previous Version

The second option involves programmatically saving the Type Palette to a previous version using the TestStand API. To do this, you must first get a reference to your type palettes using Engine.GetTypePaletteFileList. This returns an array of object references for your Type Palettes. Then, you would find the index for the Type Palette you want to save and use PropertyObjectFile.WriteFile(). For the parameter of this method you would select the version of TestStand you want to save the types for. I've attached an example 4.0 sequence that demonstrates this.

Please let me know if this works for you.
Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,084 Views)

Hi Manooch_H and Chris,

The 2nd suggestion would seems to be the route to take but doesn't seem to do what Manooch suggests. If you try to save a palette out as a previous version eg TS4.1 to TS3.5 then the WriteFile wants the compatibility version in the Compatibilty TS3.5 folder otherwise it generates an error.

"An error occurred calling 'Writefile' in PropertyObjectFile' of NI TestStand API 4.1. The compatibility type palette files for selected version could not be found" 

Also you need to change the Path as it will overwrite the Current version. Again not what you want. Therefore, you can not seem to do what Chris wants to do because you need the compatibility version file to create the previous version type palette file.  (Manooch, Maybe I doing something wrong...)

So the first option seems to be the only workable solution.

Point to bear in mind.

Adding Types to a SequenceFile Types then saving out to a previous version doesnt modify the Type fully if you dont have a compatibility file. ie Take the "Default Step Name Expression" of a Custom Step Type contains ResStr("CUSTOM_STEPTYPES", "DEFAULT_STEP_NAME").

This resource strings don't exist in Version 3.5 or lower and therefore when you load the SequenceFile into the previous version of TestStand eg TS3.5 it will generate an error.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Message Edited by Ray Farmer on 08-08-2008 09:24 PM
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,075 Views)