NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I place in a parameter to send the pair 'CTRL + E' ?

Solved!
Go to solution

HI,

In my RS232 step, I would like to send the above command (CTRL+E).  How do I write it in the parameter field?

Thanks

Rafi

TS4.1

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,139 Views)

Hey Rafi,

What exactly do you mean by a RS232 step? The usual method of communicating via RS232 in TestStand is to do this using one of the code modules (LabVIEW, CVI, etc). You can then pass a parameter of various datatypes into a module. Even though "CTRL+E" is a non-printing command, there is still an ASCII, hex, and a decimal representation of it that you can write to your serial port. Here's a good ASCII table for reference: http://www.pcguide.com/res/tablesASCII-c.html

As you can see, "CTRL+E" is 5 in decimal, 05 in hexidecimal, and 00000101 in binary. 

If this isn't what you are trying to do then please give me some more information and I'll see what I can do!

Lars
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,124 Views)

Thanks Lary,

This is exactly what I meant....how to send CTL+E from TS to a VI module.

The input parameter is a string.  Now I need to send CTL+E as a string.  How you do that.  

For example for CR  I send  "\r"   and  for LF  "\n".     I don't know where this is listed or where it came from....I've just been using it for years.

Now, I'd like to do the same for CTL+E.

Thanks

Rafi

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,122 Views)

Hey Rafi,

If you check the link from my last post, you'll see that there are a few different ways that you can pass the equivalent representation of "CTRL+E". For TestStand communicating with a LabVIEW VI, you can pass the string input as either an ASCII String or a Binary String for Type. If you change this type to Binary String and input the binary representation of CTRL+E of "00000101" and run your code then it should work. Can you give this a try and let me know how it goes?

Lars

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,114 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rafi2003

Hi Rafi,

Try Locals.str = "\x05"

I have not tested but it should work if you refer Help on Index: string characters

juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,093 Views)