From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the name of the previous step in TestStand

I am trying to get the name of the previous step in TestStand. I keep running into the suggestion to use RunState.PreviousStep.Name() which seems so logical. However, in version 2013 I will be darned if I can even find this property in the expression browser.  It doesn't show during development mode or in run time.  I can find the previous step index, but not the name.  What the heck am I missing? Every time I have to try and deal with a TS property I lose hair and there isn't much left.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,459 Views)

Name is a property, so you don't need the brackets.

I am not sure if TS 2013 already allows direct access to the name of the step like that. If not, you need PreviousStep.AsPropertyObject().Name.

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,413 Views)

Hello,

You can use as well NameOf(RunState.PreviousStep)

Message 3 of 6
(4,409 Views)

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,390 Views)

Use Run State Property Methods where you can access all the properties related to the sequence currently executing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 5 of 6
(4,315 Views)

RunState.Sequence.Main["//Step name from Main Step Group"].Name

You can use above property to get name of any step

Kuddo welcomed
CLAD-CTD
Message 6 of 6
(4,311 Views)