From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Change Step Types Globally?

I want to change the NI_Types PassFailTest to one that I have created in a seperate Types Palate. How do I change my sequence steps to this new type for the entire sequence?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,838 Views)
Hi Capt Jack,

Unfortunately, TestStand doesnt have a "replace with" function, so they is no easy way of changing a step type all ready in a sequence with another step type.

If you only have a few step to change then you will be as quick just to delete the original step in your sequence and insert the new step using your custom step.

If you have a lot of steps to change then you could editor your sequence file in a text editor. This is not for the faint hearted and you better start by backup your sequence files. If the the custom step type is similar to NI_Types PassFailTest, then it shouldn't be to painful.

You could try changing the NI_Types PassFailTest to match your custom step and then checking the Apply to all loaded sequences. You will have to set
in the sequence option "Allow Editting of NI_Types" before you start this. You could then edit the step type name globally in a a text editor. Then you could restore the original NI_Type back from a backup file.

Hope this helps. - I have tried some of this before so I know its possible.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 2 of 3
(2,838 Views)
That's what I figured. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something in the Sequence Editor. I did try to edit the Sequence in a text editor, but it turns out that what I really wanted to do was edit the default TestStandStrings.ini file in the Users\Language\ directory.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,838 Views)