From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I see my Implemented Interfaces in TestStand while debugging in VB IDE ?

Developing a driver in VB that implements interfaces ( for VISA and Common Driver functions). Using TestStand 2.0 to create a test sequence works fine on the activeX DLL, showing the interfaces with full methods etc, but cant use that sequence to debug the VB code as the Interfaces are not visible in the Teststand dropdown when started from VB. Have found a work around that requires creating activeX references for the interfaces and assigning the implementation activeX reference the those, but this means having a separate sequence for debug and actual use ..
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,363 Views)
HI,
There is a Knowledge Base which shows you how to debug VB code from inside TestStand. The link is given below

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde4322fef19862567740067f3cc/90f30596835a7fa0862567e5006faf38?OpenDocument

The TestStand User Manual also talks about how to debug Active X servers from Visual Basic at page number 13-56

Please post a comment if the procedure described in the Knowledge Base does not work.

Regards
Anand Jain
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,363 Views)
Thanks Anand,
The problem is not so much with VB not debugging the sequence containg my in-proc server as in how it does it. It is probably a VB quirk, in that it does not expose the interfaces in the same way when compiled and run in the ADE as in the dll after registration. My dll is implementing 2 interfaces that have been compiled into separate dlls. Creating the sequence, the editor sees the Interfaces from my Implementation dll( as if they were classes in the Object Class dropdown of the Specify Module Form in Teststand) and thus allows me to use the methods I have Implemented on each Interface from the same activeX reference.( This works in practice). This behavior is different when I use VB ADE to use the Sequence to debug the Implementation dll, in that T
estStand warns that "The class 'XX' is not exposed by the server ...". for a sequence step that uses one of the Implemetations of one of the Interfaces within. I have found a work-around that means I can access my Interfaces if I create sequence steps to access the dlls that contain my Interface Classes and then pass them the activeX reference from the dll containing my Implementation Class. This results in a needing a separate sequence for debugging to the one I will use for the client program. Once again, I have no doubt this is a VB nasty, but wonder if anyone else has encountered or found a solution that means I don't have to have 2 sets of sequences ( which will be quite large when complete) to be able to debug my applications.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,363 Views)
Hi,
Can you please contact TestStand support at http://www.ni.com/ask and generate a support request and you will be given a number to call. You can contact support at that number and request to talk to me.

Or you can post a number and I can contact you.
Regards
Anand Jain
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,363 Views)
Thanks Anand,
Appreciate if you could call me on +44 01813 662633 Tony Martin
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,363 Views)
Tony,
I would like to add that the problem you are seeing, I think is because of a Visual Basic Bug. I have not yet found any information in MSDN but I would like to talk to you before that.

Anand
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,363 Views)
Tony,
I think the number you gave me is incorrect. There is no body by that name there.
Anand
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,363 Views)
Oops - 01803 662633. Sorry about that !
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,363 Views)