cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can ı import my hardware configration

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Everyone,

I have a sequence which is menage  Automated Test Equipment. I have a config(.nce) file. I don't understand how can ı communicate my

teststand sequence and (.nce) file. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,598 Views)

There is an API for MAX that will allow you to access pieces of your NCE file.  In LabVIEW it is called System Configuraiton.  You can read more about it on the Googles.

But I'm assuming that's not exactly what you are looking for.  You want to somehow suck in your entire NCE file into TestStand and then do what with it?  What is your goal?

What language are you using to talk to your test equipment?

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,574 Views)

Thanks for your quick reply.

I am using Labwindows to talk to Test Equipment (DMM, Relay, Scope..).  I have a lot of hardware. I have to configure all of them and ı don't want to change my test sequence when the resource name is changed. Firstly I want to configure all my hardware with ni max. After, I want to call the .nce file which includes all hardware configuration data for example resource name.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,562 Views)

At some point you HAVE to map it to your automation somehow.  For instance, in TestStand you may call it PS1 and in MAX the user might set it to PowerSupply20V for the VISA Alias.  How is your test going to know that PS1 and PowerSupply20V are the same thing.  If you have multiple Power Supplies you can't just look in MAX and grab the first one.

Option 1 - What I've done in the past is have an INI file that does the mapping for me.  Then in TestStand I'll read that in and it will tell me how PS1 maps to PowerSupply20V.  The down side of this is that you now have to maintain the INI file too.

Option 2 - The easiest for maintenance is to just hard code the Alias in TestStand and then in MAX set the alias to the proper thing.  The downside of this method is that if you have multiple applications they either have to coordinate what they call things or the user has to change MAX every time they run an application.  The INI file fixes this because then each application can map itself however it wants.

Option 3 - Call into System Configuration from CVI and try to figure out which instrument is the right one.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,554 Views)

Option 1 - What I've done in the past is have an INI file that does the mapping for me.  Then in TestStand I'll read that in and it will tell me how PS1 maps to PowerSupply20V.  The down side of this is that you now have to maintain the INI file too.

My problem is about reading the mapped INI file. I don't know how can ı read INI file in TestStand. Is there any DLL file about this. I couldn't find it.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,546 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author standalone

You could do several things if you go with the INI file mapping method.

Option A - Create some CVI code to read it in and pass it back to TestStand

Option B - Use the Property Loader step (this might change the fromat from INI) and load it into some variables.  https://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052R-01/tsref/infotopics/redesignedproploader/

Option C - Store al of the settings in a single variable (i.e. Locals.InstrumentConfig) and use the PropertyObject Read method to read in the file and store it to Locals.InstrumentConfig.  Then use that where you need it.  http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052N-01/tsapiref/reftopics/propertyobject_readex_m/

A is by far the most flexible but might require the most work on your end.  B is the recommended NI way of doing this.  C is quick and dirty, gives the least amount of flexibility but keeps everything native to TestStand.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,538 Views)

Thanks for your advice,

I think the best way is Option B. Is there any way the .nce(exported with ni max) file directly import with property loader? or is there any way to convert .nce file to xlxs, txt which allow property loader.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,517 Views)

Unfortunately that is not possible because you still need some sort of mapping component.  Basically something that says assign Power Supply alias to this variable in TestStand.   So even though you could read it into TestStand it wouldn't know where, and how, to assign the items.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,508 Views)