NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopefully easy question...

I am new to TestStand and have a couple of (hopefully) easy questions.  I am using TestStand 3.5.

1)  I have written a couple of sub-sequences in another file that we use for common tasks.  Some of the parameters we pass will always be the same variable name.  Is there a way I can get that default parameter name to show up when I write the program to call this sub-sequence so I wont have to enter it each time?

2)  When I run a program that calls a sub-sequence in the above file, the first time I run it, I get an error saying the resource already exists...  If I open the sub-sequence file in TestStand, and then close it, it is fine after that.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,672 Views)

Hi DShow

Please post small example

greetings

juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,658 Views)

This is a sample sub-sequence call.  The calling sequence gives me an error when it tries to call D:\Support Sequences\Support_Sequences.seq unless in load and close it first.  The other issue is (#1), say Error_Code_OUT will always have the same variable name in the all calling sequences.  Can I make this edit sequence panel show up with that variable name already populated in it?

Thanks for you help. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,631 Views)

With TestStand the answer is usually 'yes' it is just a matter of which way is best for you.

1)

TestStand has a full application interface so that you can pragmatically read parameter names and types, and populate calling programs with the right stuff.  This takes some learning.  There may be an easier way depending on what you are doing.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you write a program to call the subsequence.   In  TestStand 4.0 ( don't have 3.5 installed) you can create a Sequence Call template step that can be used in new sequences that you program.  That is, I can open a new sequence, drop a generic Sequence Call step and rename it, configure it to call your subsequence by choosing the right path, sequence file, values/expressions to be passed to the subsequence, and then I can save this step as a template (drag to the Step section of the template window).  Then, when I have a brand new sequence, I can drop an instance of this template step into my sequence, with the parameter values preconfigured.  Assuming all the expressions are valid, you're ready to go. 

2)

Without more information I can't help with this one.  Perhaps the sequence file that contains the called subsequence is not in one of your search directories (see Configure>>Search Directories) and therefore it can't be found until you open, identify and save the calling sequence file. What error code are you getting?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,620 Views)