From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone successfully added new steps during a sequence execution?

Good morning,

I'm writing a LabView VI to add new steps during the execution of a sequence. I've found a few issues and need assistance. In LabView, I use an Engine.NewStep followed by a Sequence.InsertStep.

Issue #1:

I run my sequence using "Test UUTs" or "Single Pass" in the sequence editor. If I have breakpoints set, the sequence works just fine. My new steps appear in the Steps tab and they appear in the report once the sequence is done.

If I remove all breakpoints, I get the following message during the execution:

"Invalid step index '16' for 'Main' phase in sequence 'MainSequence'. Error Code: -17301, Index out of range."

As a workaround, I have inserted an Exe
cution.Break at the beginning of my VI. I get no errors in the sequence editor when I do this. The problem with this is my execution is paused in the sequence editor once the VI completes. The execution remains paused even if I include an Execution.Resume at the end of my VI. I want the sequence to run all the way through without pausing. Any suggestions?

Issue #2

As I add steps during the execution, I have been using the None adapter. If I use the LabVIEW or CVI adapters, can I programmatically specify the module that I want to use? As a workaround, I might try cloning existing steps, but I'd much prefer to create all my steps from scratch.

I'm writing a system test for a highly configurable multiplexer, so it's important that I can reconfigure my sequence as it runs. Has anyone else tried to do this?

Thanks,

Chris Norris
Carrier Access Corp.
cnorris@carrieraccess.com
(303) 218-5826
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,124 Views)
Chris,
It is not really safe to add/delete steps to an executing sequence. Instead what you can try is to create a sequence on the fly with the steps that you need, and then run it as a subsequence. In TestStand 2.0, there is an example that does this and it's actually pretty straightforward. The example is called "Sequence Builder Tool" and it creates and runs a sequence on the fly by adding steps from a template.

Regards,

Azucena Perez
Message 2 of 3
(3,124 Views)
Hi,

File attached is a demo sequence with a VI step.
This creates a step in the main of Numeric Limits Type using the None Adaptor.

I have run it using the process model and get no errors.

Have a go

Regards
Ray
Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,124 Views)