NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from Sequential Model to Parallel Model with a lot of Testcases (how to reduce maintenance efford)

Hi all,

up to now I used the Sequential Model and an wrapper who chooses the test cases and replaces the "dummy Test case" with the correct one to call it later on in a new execution; In the test case (test sequence) I used the Model Options und Report Options callbacks.

Later on 

- a status with more states than passed / failed/terminated should be reported back to the caller to be able to react different

- the test cases should still use the callbacks independent if called by the wrapper or not 

- the parallel Model should be used later on with the socket index 

- a new user Interface needs to be written for that (4 independent test sockets).

As the Process Modell defines also the order of the callbacks, I better ask an expert :).

Questions:

how to pass a parameter into a sequence in a new execution, I found 2 possible approaches, one with the callbacks (use process modell) but I need to add a sequence name as additional parameter.....; Are there any other differences between the parallel model and the sequential modell that I need to have in mind?

So all these Decisions have an impact on the parameter list so that's why I need to be shure of the optimum approach before I change 180 Testcases (a lot of maintenance work when switching between sequential modell and parrallel model approach 🙂 

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

M. Schreiner

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,945 Views)

One more Question about the parallel model: I (plan to) use 4 Testsockets. If a sequence is called from one of the 4 parallel runs and I use the same Process Model for the called sequence, does that mean that 4 more Testsockets (4 x 4 = 16) are created? So do I need to have the sequential model for the Testcase and the parallel model for the wrapper?

Thanks

Best regards

Matthias  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,939 Views)

Hi run321,

is this still actual topic? I see it was added some time ago.

Let us know, therefore we will try to help 🙂 

Regards,

Patrik
CTA, CLA
Helping (sharing) is caring!

If the post was helpful - Kudo it.
If the post answered your question - Mark it as Solution.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,830 Views)

Hi Patrik,

thanks for your message. No the topic is not really an actual one any more.

After a lot of discussions we decided to use separate Testsand instances rather than the parallel model.

There was still a lot to do (to change) to enshure that

- with the wrapper the HW Adress is needed only once (for the whole sequence of tests)

- without the wrapper the HW Adress GUI starts in each single test

- with the wrapper if a test is interrupted there is a retry 

- every single Test is a new Execution with it's own report

So thanks for your offer 🙂

Best regards

Matthias

Message 4 of 5
(1,827 Views)

Hi Matthias,

I believe you would be able to achieve your results with parallel process model as well, however as you wrote in the title - if it's about reducing maintenance effor, this could be a better way.

Thanks for reply and good luck with implementing every feature in your test sequences.

In case of any hesitation, feel free to reach this beautiful NI community 🙂 

Regards,

Patrik
CTA, CLA
Helping (sharing) is caring!

If the post was helpful - Kudo it.
If the post answered your question - Mark it as Solution.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,824 Views)