From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the step's sequence name from a pre-step callback

I was using ResultList[ ].TS.StartTime to get each step's start time. I converted it to seconds for LabVIEW by adding 2082844800 + Engine.SecondsAtStartIn1970UniversalCoordinatedTime to it.

In that method, however, if the computer clock is adjusted after the TS Engine initializes, I get wrong timestamps from TS.StartTime afterwards. And there is a high chance that the system clock will indeed be changed from time to time in my application so I am trying to avoid using TS.StartTime all together.

So instead, in a pre-step callback, I get a timestamp from a simple VI using the Get Date/Time In Seconds function for step start time. This works fine because it always directly uses the system clock.

Now the problem is that, I also have to get a particular sequence's start time. In the pre-step callback, I want to check if the step's sequence name is the target name. If so, I want to check if the step's local index is 0. If so, then get a timestamp because it is the start of the target sequence. Before, I was able to get the sequence name from Caller.Sequence.Name. But now using the pre-step callback, I can't find a way to get the name of the sequence to which the step belongs.

Another approach may be using Seconds(False) - Seconds(True) instead of RunState.Engine.SecondsAtStartIn1970UniversalCoordinatedTime.

Any help or suggestions for better solutions will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,269 Views)

I found this works with TS.StartTime.

RunState.Engine.SecondsSince1970UniversalCoordinatedTime - RunState.Engine.SecondsSinceStart

This accounts for all changes in system time. It is essentially the same as Seconds(False) - Seconds(True) on TS Watch View.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,263 Views)

Hello pomirobotics

I would like to know how it is going with that.

Do you have any update?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,243 Views)

Using Engine.SecondsSince1970UniversalCoordinatedTime [1] - Engine.SecondsSinceStart [2] instead of Engine.SecondsAtStartIn1970UniversalCoordinatedTime [3] solved the problem instantly.

[3] is a fixed value once the TS Engine starts but [1] - [2] changes if system time changes because [1] is adjusted accordingly. [1] is always in sync with the system clock.

I attach a figure I created for reference.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,237 Views)

Hello pomirobotics

I see. Is there any possibility to don’t change the system clock?  Just to avoid that.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,209 Views)

Occasional system clock changes are a given situation that I have to deal with. The clock may not even change at all. I just have to make it robust in any situation.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,205 Views)

Hello pomirobotics

I see. So with the diagram I could understand partially in a general perspective however I would like to you bring to me the result was expected and one that was unexpected (changing the system clock)

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,157 Views)