cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating a very, very customized XML report

Solved!
Go to solution

I wish I could change the subject of this thread now. Smiley Wink

James and Trent, thanks for educating me on this. As is true with many things, the more I learn, the more I am aware of the limits of my knowledge.

I've now spent quite a while working with offline results and I've found:

• By default the 32 bit ORPU is not large address aware. Addressing this key issue helped substantially and got us past the 2 GB ceiling, which I'd mistakenly thought was 3 - 3.5 GB or so by default. The LAA utility works well. (As an aside, I'd love to use it via command line for automating the update)
  • For us, right now one of our worst cases is around 20,000 unfiltered step results, amounting to around 15,000 that are logged after result filtering. Our absolute worst case is about double that - I'm guessing there are customers dwarfing that by a lot.
  • Watching the memory usage of the ORPU, it appears that for processing our average step result, the ORPU is using ~5-10 kB. (unless I'm miscalculating)
  • To future proof our offline results setup while still using 32 bit for executing tests (for now), I've been able to port our database model plugin to x64, build a deployment with the plugin and TS x64 runtime, and deploy the 64 bit version of the ORPU alongside the 32 bit test architecture we're already using.
  • The 64 bit version is almost comically capable. I threw a data set at it with 2.8 million step results and it chugged it down without any issue (except maxing out my memory and paging to disk.)
  • Trying to implement my own, home-grown XML version of offline results did work, but it was much, much slower than the native offline result generator and ORPU, no matter how I tried to optimize it. (I don't recommend this option to anyone thinking of trying it)

All in all I'm now pretty happy with offline results, although I haven't deployed the 64 bit ORPU out to the floors yet.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Mr. Jim

Message 11 of 11
(238 Views)