From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding step type of custom step

Previously...

I had a few Numeric limits, Pass/Fail, and String test steps to test DMM functions. The sequence has a simulation feature wherein the wrapper VIs will run the simulation class of DMM. The simulated sequence can also be configured to Pass/Fail. A Test step passes the sequence context to the VI, the type of step is determined, and a simulated value according to limits, Test step type, and pass/fail condition is sent out to the step. Simulating values were simple and could be used by many instruments.

Now..

I created custom steps by combining with default types. Reading the step type from sequence reference now provides the name of the custom step as expected. It is unclear as to how the simulation should now be changed to accommodate the custom steps. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,804 Views)

It would have helped if you had provided example code of what you do that works and what you try to do that does not work.

My guess is that your simulator has some code that is called based on the step type names using the TestStand API function TypeOf(). You just need to add more code to cover the cases covering your own custom steps. You can probably make your code generic enough that when the simulator code is called for one of your custom steps, you call the code that you created for the corresponding standard steps.

Marc Dubois
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,771 Views)