NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding literal values (numeric) of Additional Results parameter programatically

My goal is to extract specific log file data from my TestStand sequence programatically using LabVIEW for use in custom output files.

Each of my teststand main sequence LabVIEW .vi tests has input and output data that I can choose to log to the automatically generated TestStand report. I do this by clicking on the test in the Steps:MainSequence window, then in Step Settings for <xyz.vi> window i can click on MODULE tab, then in the LOG column, I can check a little box to choose to log that data.

Now comes where I'm stuck. I want to programatically, using LabVIEW (and likely the TestStand API) extract that data that I've chosen to log. I found a way to accomplish this by assigning a local variable to the item I want to log, but this is not acceptable for the rest of my team as they have a LabVIEW program that automatically generates TestStand sequences and it would be a big ask for them to programatically add local variables to every input and output. I have attached my TestStand sequence and two .vis. In the .vi called "Gather Results.vi" you can see that i'm able to get a lot of data about the Additional Results parameters - i'm able to get the Name of the parameter (Name), the local variable name if it has one (ValueToLog), if it's checked to log (CheckedState), the Data Type (DisplayString), and the Named Type (TypeName), but i'm unable to get the actual value of the property (in the cases of the attached vi, these are random Numeric values between 1 and 10. So maybe the value would be 3 or 6.). I'm certain this number is in the resultslist along with the metadata that I can extract, but how do I get at it?

Thanks for your time, -Andy

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,005 Views)

Hi TheBlueRaja,

Just to make sure that I'm understanding correctly, your application is:

-You are programmatically creating TestStand sequences in LabVIEW

-Logging some variables to report and you are storing them in local variables

-You are currently able to pass most (or all) of the information about your additional results, except for the value of the variable itself, to LabVIEW

What you would like to do:

-Pass the values of the variables from TestStand back to LabVIEW from the Additional Results without using local variables.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

Thanks!

Ramsey

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(1,968 Views)

Hi Ramsey, 

Yes on all counts except that I am logging some of the variables but they are NOT being stored as Local Variables. They're just being "checked" for logging in the Module tab. 

I am familiar with how to retrieve local variables, but these aren't being set up as local variables. They're just data that has been checked to be logged in the auto-generated test report.

Thank you very much for your time,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(1,966 Views)

Hi TheBlueRaja,

Thank you for that information! I believe that you can accomplish this using the UIMessage function in LabVIEW

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4532/en/

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,953 Views)

Hi Ramsey, 

Thank you for taking the time to reply and help with my issue. I now believe I understand how to post a UI Message, and how to read a UI Message.

However, I don't understand how to populate this UI Message with the raw value (numeric) from the Additional Results Parameters.

Thank you for any additional advice you can give.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,928 Views)