NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to open GPIB....error message!

Hello, looking for help/advice regarding the above error message we just started receiving.

We have a Mitutoyo CMM feeding a Mitutoyo MAG-3 which is plugged into the NI-488.2 GPIB inside a Dell PC with XP platform.

Yesterday we fired up the unit and received the message.." Failed to open GPIB " and switched to offline mode. We checked all cables and found there was something not right with the GPIB Boards connection to the Dells motherboard. It appears that over time and the weight of the IEEE 4888 cable and the Dell lying on its side somehow pulled the card from its slot.

Anyway, we re-inserted the card and plugged in the driver disk but for some reason we are still getting the same error message:

Any thoughts?

Edit...I know I posted this in the wrong forum...I hope a mod will hopefully place it in its proper place!!

Thanks

Ken

Message 1 of 5
(3,309 Views)

Hi,

Cards can sometimes be damaged if they aren't seated correctly in the slot.  Do you have a known good card you can try?

Thanks,
Jim

Message 2 of 5
(3,304 Views)

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately, we can't manually move the post from forum to forum.  Feel free to repost in the correct thread and link this post to that thread. 

In the mean time, I agree with Jim on the first step to take to verify that the hardware is not the problem.  Do you have another card that you know is good?  From the way you phrased your post, it sounds like the card used to work but stopped working yesterday.  Is that right?

Message 3 of 5
(3,287 Views)

Thanks Guys...Yes, the card and system as a whole have worked flawlessly for 3 years before this issue arose. I do not have any other cards, but I have tried to reinstall this one using NI directions I received but the PC is failing to recognize the GPIC card in any slot I try it in. Hopefully it is not the NI card. My IT department said they would get to it ..."soon"! Smiley Mad

Thanks for the support!

Ken

Message 4 of 5
(3,281 Views)

Hi there, I know its been a long time. But just wondering if anyone found a solution to the problem mention above. Could you please share.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,271 Views)