From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluation version for "Base Deployment Engine " available?

If you deactivate your Dev license, you can choose to activate only the Base Deployment license with your same serial number (just right-click the Base Deployment entry in NI License Manager and choose Activate).

Once you're done testing, you can go back into NI License Manager, right-click Development System, and choose Activate to re-activate your dev license.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(2,002 Views)

OnlyOne,

We posted at the exact same minute 🙂

It's possible I'm mistaken about being able to activate the base deployment with a dev license; I was pretty sure it was possible, but I suppose it may not be if your serial number does not have that license type attached to it. I'll do some checking to make sure we're right on that.

In the meantime, perhaps we can try to figure out which license your OI will require. What features does it have that you are concerned will activate a dev license?

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(1,997 Views)

I just installed the Development-licence on my computer.

Then i opened the example C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\TestStand 2013\UserInterfaces\Full-Featured\CSharp and compiled it in VisualStudio2012.

It run without errors.

What i need to know: Will this example also run if i only have the BaseDeployment-Licence? This is what i cant test.

Perhaps it is possible to get a 1 week BaseDeployment-licence for testing?

Our OPUI will not have any special things, Just loading, runing, retrieving results, ...

Another question is: If i order the BaseDeployment - Do i get exactly the same installation-CDs and install the same amount of files?

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(1,994 Views)

OnlyOne,

There are no CDs for the base deployment.  You build it from the development environment. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/EE3382373D209449862570A5006572F0

Your build should include all the engines, dependencies, UIs, sequence files, etc.... that your test needs in order to execute.

The base deployment license is separate from the dev license and is usually just a serial number.  Also note that the base deployment license is free to upgrade to ANY version of TestStand once you purchase it.  So if you purchased a base license for 4.1 you can use it on 2013.  You do have to get a new license file with the new version but that should be free.

There are only a handful of Engine API calls that require the dev license.  If you are not calling those then you can be sure that your UI will work witht the base license.  I've never seen it published which ones will work with which license.  I wish NI would publish that.  However, basically anything that has to do with editing or saving a sequence file requires a dev license.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(1,989 Views)

So the Deployment-version can only execute complied exe-files?

Background:

We are developing a OPUI that can handle different test-sequencers. One of them is NI TestStand.

On my PC1 i create the functions for teststand using C#.

On another PC2 someone creates the functions for sequencer XY.

But because PC2 also has my sourcecode from PC1 he also needs the teststand-references installed on his PC2 to compile the code.

Also if he does not want to execute this part of the OPUI it is part of the sourcode.

Or does he need not any licence and just installs the teststand-cd?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 25
(1,986 Views)

So the TestStand engine is built on activex.  It has a rather large API into the activex component.  In order for that component to work it needs a license (whether it be dev or deployment).  Again, it depends on which API calls you are making.

I'm not sure if he needs a license to build the UI like that.  But he definitely needs the components (dlls, com objects, etc.) for his compiler to build the project.  So, yes he will need to install TestStand to build a project using it as a dependency. 

If I were you I would install it on PC2 and not license anything and try and build.  If it throws a warning then try your existing license out on it.  If that fixes it then he needs a dev license.  You won't be able to run the UI without a license for sure though.

The base deployment license is not the right license for what you are doing in this situation.  It is used to execute TestStand in a test environment.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(1,984 Views)

Now i deactivated my Developer-Licence on PC1 and run the DotNet-example again.

As you said ther comes now a popup that says:

TestStand No licence available
TestStand
The requested license is unavailable on this computer. (NILM16)

Then i have the buttons Activate, Purchase, Exit.

When i click on "Purchase" (with the hope it will says WHAT to purchase) it opens a website where i should enter an Info-Code.

So i entered the NILM16 from above and pressed Submit ..... but nothing happens.

Of course it will run again if i reactivate my Development-licence. But now i still dont know if it would also run with a Deployment-licence.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(1,982 Views)

OnlyOne,

When running the full-featured .NET C# example on my machine, I can use the operator mode with only a Base Deployment license, but if I switch to editor mode, the Development license is required. This is because a development license is required to perform any actions that involve editing a sequence file. 

It sounds like your reason for concern is that you have a colleague who wants to be able to compile an interface that uses TestStand controls, is this correct? If this is the case, you might need to get a development license for the machine. As Jiggawax stated, you will certainly need to install TestStand to have those components, and you might be able to build without having a license, but you will not be able to execute the application without a license. 

If this is for the purpose of development at your company and you have several developers who need access to the tools, you might consider a volume license agreement. Those can be configured so that you have a shared pool of licenses that can be checked out by any developer as needed to work on the project.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 25
(1,977 Views)

No, we are not using any Teststand-Control as in the DotNet-Example (IF you mean the graphic-controls on the GUI which are 1:1 as in TestStand).

We have all custom controls on our OPUI which are the same for all integrated sequencers.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(1,975 Views)

Even if you aren't using the TestStand UI Controls you are still calling into the TestStand  API.  You need all of the libraries and dependencies for that.  This is why your colleague needs to install TestStand to build the project.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 25
(1,962 Views)