From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Evaluate function in teststand status expression

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I can not understand the meaning of function Evaluate() in below sentence,and can not find the explanation in help files,could someone help me ?

Step.DataSource != "Step.Result.PassFail" ? Step.Result.PassFail = Evaluate(Step.DataSource) : False, Step.Result.PassFail ? "Passed" : "Failed" 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,253 Views)

Lets assume In this case step.datasource has a variable stored ex "locals.num"

The function Evaluate(Step.DataSource) does the following :

Get the variable name stored in step.datasource i.e. locals.num

Return the data stored in locals.num

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(9,244 Views)

Thank you!

this expression  means below,but I am not clear that the "false" means, means do nothing?

if(Step.DataSource != "Step.Result.PassFail" )

{

Step.Result.PassFail = Evaluate(Step.DataSource)

}

else

{

false

}

if(Step.Result.PassFail )

{

passed

}

else

{

failed

}

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(9,217 Views)

The step status i.e. step.result.passfail is set to either pass or fail by the expressions.

Slighty modified your steps :

if(Step.DataSource != "Step.Result.PassFail" )

{

Step.Result.PassFail = Evaluate(Step.DataSource)

}

else

{

Step.Result.PassFail = false

}

if(Step.Result.PassFail )

{

Step.Result.PassFail=passed

}

else

{

Step.Result.PassFail=failed

}

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(9,213 Views)

Sorry,I am still not clear.

as you said,if Step.DataSource == "Step.Result.PassFail" (the default value of pass/fail step), then Step.Result.PassFail = false, then Step.Result.PassFail=failed,then the step fail. it seems wrong, Step.Result.PassFail should be valued by the output parameter.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(9,206 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tanggio

Sorry to confuse you.

Hope the explanation helps.

Step.DataSource != "Step.Result.PassFail" ? Step.Result.PassFail = Evaluate(Step.DataSource) : False, Step.Result.PassFail ? "Passed" : "Failed"

if(Step.DataSource != "Step.Result.PassFail" )  // True if user has selected a different data source ( by default its step.result.passfail)

{

Step.Result.PassFail = Evaluate(Step.DataSource)  // Get variable stored in step.datasource.Read the value and store in step.result.passfail

}

else

{

false   // Dont do anything when default data source is present

}

if(Step.Result.PassFail )  // It will have the latest value either by default or even if data source is changed.

{

passed  //status is set as passed

}

else

{

failed  //status is set as Failed

}

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(9,201 Views)

Thank you,now I'm clear.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(9,184 Views)

As an added point of reference, we use the "Evaluate()" function to to parse Variables in a Step Name for TestStand steps.  This makes our steps very readable and FAST to code in TestStand.

For example our tests to communicate to a device might be to write a value to a value to a specific parameter, such as writing a Setpoint Value.  So the TestStand step name would look like:

[] Write:Setpoint(1)=200

Where Setpoint is the Parameter Name, (1) represents the Instance, and 200 is the value written

However we use the Evaluate() function to parse out variables:

Locals.sParameter = "Setpoint"

Locals.nInstance = 1

Parameters.nValue = 200

[]Write:{L.sParameter}({L.nInstance})={P.nValue}

(We use a shortened version of L. for Locals., P. for Parameters., etc. because it doesn't take up so much space on the Step Name)

We have a library subsequence (Check for Curly Brackets to be parsed) that parses out any variables that are enclosed in the {} curly brackets.

Replace "L." with "Locals.", etc. and then parse out the variables in the Pre-Expression, 

and then EVALUATE the variables in the Post-Expression:

Locals.sTemporary ="RunState.Caller.RunState.Caller."& Locals.sVariable,
'If the variable exists, resolve it, if not replace it with '{ERROR}' and continue.
Locals.sTemporary =( PropertyExists(Locals.sTemporary)? Evaluate(Locals.sTemporary)  :"{ERROR}"),
'Put the resolved variable (or error) back in place of its name
Locals.sWorkingString = Locals.sBeforeVar & Locals.sTemporary & Locals.sAfterVar

Also, during runtime, if there happens to be an error in the StepName, we can edit it and continue on using a "Set Step Name" tool.

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(9,177 Views)