cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors from Labview VI not displayed in TestStand

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I just installed and started to use TestStand to create testbenches using different VI's. Everything works fine, except for the fact that when there is any error in any VI of the sequence, this is not displayed and the TestStand continues the execution of the tests as if nothing happened.

For example, one error could be that a file I want to open in the VI is not found (this error is correctly displayed in Labview by a pop-up window, without using Simple Error Handler or similar).

However, if I run the VI in TestStand, the error won't be displayed and the execution continues.

The option Configure --> Station Options --> Execution --> On Run-Time Error is set to Show Dialog Box.

Is there any reason why this happens?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,454 Views)

Are you connecting the error out of your VI to Step.Result.Error?

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,453 Views)

No, the errors are not connected to anything. When an error occurs, the execution of the VI stops and the error window pops out (in Labview). This does not happen in Teststand.

Do I need to connect the errors? This is not convenient for me, because I will be using already designed VI's that don't have the errors connected, and therefore I will need to modify all those VI's.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,447 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dblasco

If you want TestStand to display the error then you need to pass the error from LabVIEW to TestStand.  Otherwise, how does TestStand know that an error occured?  To TestStand your VI is a black box.  It can feed inputs and get outputs.  Anything that happens inside the VI stays in the VI. 

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 4 of 5
(2,436 Views)

I understand. I'll try then to output the errors.

It is not very convenient for me because I am using already designed VI's (from other people) which work well, but don't have a well designed error structure. This forces me to modify all these VI's.

Thank you for your explanation.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,416 Views)