cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error in Writing to CFG Files

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

In my use-case, I have a custom Configuration Directory for TestStand and the directory is in Source code control. The files are made read only by the source code control. Whenever I open TestStand, I get an error saying

"Error writing to file

'C:\Project\MyProject\TestStand\GeneralEngine.cfg'

Unable to save the changes to the TestStand configuration.

TesStand will not display this message again for errors saving this file during this session.'

One way to avoid this is manually make the files read/write and then launch TestStand. Is there any inbuilt way in TestStand to skip this and similar popups when launching.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,648 Views)

Personally I think this is a bad idea to put your cfg files in source code like that.  They are meant to be written to, a lot, as TestStand is open.  I know of no way to turn this functionality off.

Is there a reason you need them in source code control?  Have you looked into environments?

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 5
(2,627 Views)

Thank You Jigg,

We maintain the configure files in source code control since we have different projects, between which the configure files are different. When we switch from one project to another project we set the "Configuration Directory" property in Station Option to point to a different location with the configuration files (specific to the project).

I have not looked into environments, I will look into it.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,614 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author SreeRanjaniSG

Environments allow you to easily switch configurations from project to project.  The only problem is you will need to find a way to share it between developers as you say.  Maybe you just make it a practice to go check it out of SCC before developing?

You can also use a shared drive but just know that the last user to use it will change the state of things.

Another option is to create a tool to swap out your configuration folder with project specific files.  In this scenario you would need to run that tool when you switch from project to project.  The tool could pull the cfg files from SCC and then change their attributes to be read/write.

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 4 of 5
(2,608 Views)

Thanks Jigg,

As you mentioned, maintaining and sharing the configuration files between developers is difficult without SCC. I will try the tool suggestion where we programmatically set read/write permission.

Thanks,

Sree

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,589 Views)