NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error -17004 only occurs from power up and when logged in as an administrator

Got a bit of problem with a Teststand deployment that I've found various answers for on the discussion forums, but not any that appear to fit my particular one, so hoping someone out there might be able to help.

We are using the Teststand runtime engine with a Labview front end.

If we startup our system, login as a restricted user then start our software everything is fine - no errors at all.

If we startup our system, login as Administrator then start our software we get the attached error indicating that Teststand either can't find a dll or, or can't load it, and as I've checked for all the dlls it mentions and they are all present - it looks as though it is having problems loading them.

This seems to fly in the face of what you would expect - generally with installations it is the restricted user who has the problems running sometimes restricted dlls/exes, and it is even more strange in this case as we did the install as Administrator, so again you would expect any dll load problems to occur with a restricted user.

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas about why this might be happenning?
David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,418 Views)

Hi,

Did you manually copy the files mention in the jpg to your target system, because by default they are not included as part of the deployment?

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 2 of 8
(3,389 Views)
Hi Ray, We don't manually put the files on the system during deployment. How we are creating our system is by installing Teststand on the target PC but only installing the run-time engine and the various drivers that we need so they get put on at this stage.

The problem appears to be intermittent, and having done many tests there does not seem to be any cause that I can pin point - you start up the PC from cold and it gets the error, you restart it and you don't get the error - you can repeat that sequence 4 or 5 times and you will not be able to predict if it is going to error or not - which kind of suggests that it might be something to do with the order in which things are executed.

It also appears that the problem is not just related to Administrator logins as I've managed to get it to error logged in as a numpty.

David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,381 Views)
Good day D,

A few questions about your situation:  When you say that you are logging in as an Administrator, you are referring to Windows and not Teststand, correct?  You also mentioned that you are installing the run-time engine and various drivers on the target machine.  How exactly are you doing this?  Are you using the Deployment Utility, or are you running a custom install of the Teststand cds?  If you are running a custom installation, then what are you specifically selecting to install?

Mike Torba
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
Message 4 of 8
(3,353 Views)
Hi Torba, In answer to your questions :-

When I mention Admininstrator I do mean Windows not Teststand, although further testing of this problem has shown that it also occurs intermittently (although probably less frequently) logged in as restricted user.

To install everything we are doing a full Teststand installation with the following options :-

Teststand Engine
                         API
                         Version Selector
                         NI Session Manager
                         Labview runtime engine 6.1, 7.0, 7.1
                         Device Drivers

There is another wierd thing with this error, and that is that it occurs in our .vi well before we even start communicating with Teststand, and it appears to occur in the code block that I have attached, although as the error is explicitly Teststand I'm wondering if the VI exe is doing something in the background such as allocating memory or setting up variables.

Thanks for your reply.

David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,327 Views)
Just to let you both know (and Kurtish at NIUK) that we think we've solved the problem.

When we start up our test executive we display a splash panel, and we then access Teststand globals to populate fields on this panel by using .vi server. However it appears that the splash panel which was assumed to be dumb had some legacy code left in it that was effectively doing the same thing of accessing Teststand global variables. I've removed these accesses to these variables in the splash screen and we no longer (so far) get the -17004 error.

We're still a bit concerned as to why this has caused a problem as we access Teststand globals in other places within the code without any problems - if it occurs again I'll post back.

Thankyou for your suggestions and help with this - it's much appreciated.
David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
Message 6 of 8
(3,320 Views)

Hi David,

Thanks for the info, haven't had a chance to look at your VI. I will do later.

Glad that you seem to have resolved your problem.

Regards

Ray Farmer

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,317 Views)
Hi Ray,  I wouldn't bother looking at the vi - it turned out to be a bit of a wild goose chase - what appears to have caused the problem is accessing TS globals not the variant - why that should happen we don't know - NI have requested the offending code to try and find out why it should error and I'll post back if they come up with anything.
David Clark
CLA | CTA
IDEX Biometrics UK Ltd
Hampshire, England
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,312 Views)