Did you mean: 

Error -13 occurred at Deployment Utility Splash Screen - TestStand.vi

error13.png

Deployment does not proceed. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,471 Views)

Hi Sergey,

Error -19046 is a pretty general error when the installer is building, but can be caused by a couple different items you can check. First one is another installer session was already created. Another can be another application is using the installer toolkit. Check out this article for more detailed information. http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370052N-01/tserrors/reftopics/error_general_error_while_buil...

If that doesn't work out, can you try posting the steps that lead to the error and possible even some code we can build on?

Thanks,

Ben H.
Systems Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,445 Views)

Hi Sergey,

Please attach a technical support log to help us get more information on the failure.  You can generate this log using the Dropdown on the Save Log button:

2015-12-16_162952.png

In addition, you may want to try updating to the latest version of the NI installer tools.  The latest version includes updates to provide better error information which may help diagnose the issue.  To do this, install the latest version of any NI driver or the LabVIEW Run-time engine.

Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,436 Views)

The log is attached. I've manage to make a build work by rolling back to the previous build checkin and then applying just updated files. I still don't know what cased the error, while it is somewere in my files, might be in source code files which are included in the build but not used for some reason.

The problem with TestStand for as long as I'm using it is that the deployment is very picky to the source code, but it does not give you a clue what is wrong with it. For the last 8 years I periodically face problems with deployment and always I do some kind of  "rain dance" around the source code to make the deployment work. Sometimes I discover the issue (not compiled or broken vi's, etc), sometimes not. It would help a lot, if deployment utility point to the problematic files, returning the errors chain of utility's internal vis really does not help.

I'm using the deployment utility which comes with TestStand 2014, is something newer available?

Thank you,

Sergey

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,363 Views)

Hello Sergey,

Can you give us more information on the steps you went through prior to receiving this error?  Also, can you tell us what software and operating system versions you are working with?  Also, more information about your overall application would be helpful.  Thanks a lot.

Cheers, 

Jonathan R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,308 Views)
That was built on Win7 using TestStand 2014 and LabVIEW 2015. After building executable in LabVIEW I always verify that it is working with runtime engine on the same build machine. Some hiccups can be found on that check. After that, I verify the build project in TestStand and start the deployment utility. This error was received at analyzing files even before the building was started. Problem is definitely in my source code, but TestStand giving absolutely no clue where is it.
Regarding the application, this is a custom test sequencer, basic functionality is similar to OI distributed with TestStand.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,302 Views)

Hello Sergey, 

Thank you for the additional information. From what I understand, the problem is in the source code, but TestStand will not tell you which VI is missing or broken. I can suggest a few things. One, doing a mass compile your code if you are changing dependencies. Two, use debuggable executables so that you can debug them in LV. Three, you can use the TestStand API to check the results of previous steps. For example, you have an Action Step that calls an executable that you suspect could have an error. After that step, you can add a Pass/Fail Test or some test to check the result of the previous step (the step with the executable). 

TestStand will only run the different VIs, but will not know automatically if they are broken. 

I hope that this is helpful!

Sal H.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,285 Views)

Hi Sergey,

In looking at the log, it appears that building the installer in TestStand Deployment Utility is failing when including a certain low-level dependency that is used for all NI installers (the dependency name is "WIF Core Dependencies (Windows)").   This issue is not related to your source files; it will be included in the deployment if you select any NI products in the drivers and components dialog.  You mentioned that you have already found a workaround, but if you would like to troubleshoot the issue, the easiest first step would be to install the latest LabVIEW Runtime, which will update this product to the latest version and may fix the issue.

The problem with TestStand for as long as I'm using it is that the deployment is very picky to the source code, but it does not give you a clue what is wrong with it. For the last 8 years I periodically face problems with deployment and always I do some kind of  "rain dance" around the source code to make the deployment work. Sometimes I discover the issue (not compiled or broken vi's, etc), sometimes not. It would help a lot, if deployment utility point to the problematic files, returning the errors chain of utility's internal vis really does not help.

This is definitely a concern we are aware of, and we have been working to improve in newer versions of the software.  For example in TestStand 2013, the logging process in TestStand Deployment Utility was completely refactored to make it easier to troubleshoot errors and provide more error information.  In TestStand 2014 SP1, we fixed issues where TestStand Deployment Utility reported all VIs as broken instead of just the problematic VIs.  If you encounter any issues where TSDU is not providing sufficient information to troubleshoot VIs, please save the log and let us know.

If you do encounter issues with your VIs, TSDU creates a LabVIEW project in the windows temp directory that you can use to troubleshoot the issue, such as using the LabVIEW project tools to find missing VIs and conflicts.  Additionally, the project contains a source distribution build spec which is what TestStand Deployment Utility uses to create the deployable image.  If you build this distribution in LabVIEW, you can get more information on the issue in some cases.

I'm using the deployment utility which comes with TestStand 2014, is something newer available?

You are using TestStand Deployment Utility included with 2014 SP1, which is the latest version.

Al B.
Staff Software Engineer - TestStand
CTA/CLD
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,257 Views)
Thank you AI.B. Happy New Year!
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,246 Views)