NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit LV VI Disabled?

Solved!
Go to solution

For some strange reason my "Edit VI" Button is disabled in Teststand, thus blocking me from calling it up in Teststand.  What mode in Teststand can cause this feature to be Disabled?  

Where is this control for turning this "Edit VI" Button back on?  This is a brand new installation, so I'm working out the bugs in the installation.  Which I don't do very often.  Normally after installation I spend years using the same installation without ever having to bother with installation issues.

Best Regards,

Edmund

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,315 Views)

What user are you login in as?

what UI are you using, is it the Sequence Editor?

Does this VI belong to custom step type?

Do yo have LabVIEW installed?

Have you been able to edit before?

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,296 Views)

I am logging in as the Default "Administrator" 

I am using a customized VI I wrote to simply check out the Teststand installation.

The Step type is a LabVIEW "Multiple Numeric Limit Test"

Yes, LabVIEW 2018 is installed.

I have been able to edit on other installations for years, but this is a brand new installation and I am not familure with all the initial configurations of Teststand since I'm not usually installing new Teststand everyday.  I normally do one installation and run for years on that one installation.

I have attached the 2 files in question here, one is the LabVIEW Call that I am using, the other is the Teststand that is calling that LabVIEW VI.

However, I am running Teststand 2017

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,290 Views)

Hi Edmund!

Thank you for providing your code, that's very helpful with troubleshooting. 

I was able to open your sequence file in TestStand 2017 SP1 and the "Edit VI" button was enabled. I have LabVIEW 2018 installed on my computer as well. 

I have included a link below to an article that has troubleshooting steps that may be helpful:

"Create and Edit VI Buttons in TestStand are Disabled"

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P9IPSA0&l=en-US

Carolynn V.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,285 Views)

Have you actually installed or copied the step type and it’s code to the User\teststand\components\steptypes folder?

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,263 Views)

@RayFarmer wrote:

Have you actually installed or copied the step type and it’s code to the User\teststand\components\steptypes folder?

Not yet, what advantage will that provide?

Best Regards,

Edmund

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,260 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Edmund.M.Williams

It will provide all the code for you custom steptypes to allow you to edit and run your steps.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 7 of 10
(2,255 Views)

@RayFarmer wrote:

It will provide all the code for you custom steptypes to allow you to edit and run your steps.

Thanks, ... When I try to establish that path on my pc manually I'm being blocked because my account doesn't have Administrative privileges.  Is there a way for Teststand to create that path?

Best Regards,

Edmund

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,249 Views)

You shouldn’t have any problems accessing this location as it’s in your c:\users\public\documents\national instruments\teststand <version>\ folder.

keep drilling down down until you get to the components\steptypes\ folder.

if you haven’t got any folder structures in your User folder then copy the structure from the NI folder. This is in c:\program Files\national instruments\ etc.

checkout NI website for TestStand directory structure.

Regards
Ray Farmer
Message 9 of 10
(2,244 Views)

@RayFarmer wrote:

You shouldn’t have any problems accessing this location as it’s in your c:\users\public\documents\national instruments\teststand <version>\ folder.

keep drilling down down until you get to the components\steptypes\ folder.

if you haven’t got any folder structures in your User folder then copy the structure from the NI folder. This is in c:\program Files\national instruments\ etc.

checkout NI website for TestStand directory structure.

Thanks, Now I can drill down into the Public folder(s).  What kind of files go into this folder?  LabVIEW VI's? or Teststand Sequences?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,242 Views)