NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment abnormalities

Previously, I deployed an app using TestStand 3.1 and CVI 7.1.  Now, I upgraded to 3.5 and 8.0 respectively and I'm having a horrific time with the deployment.  Before, I used to get a deployment directory that contained Distrib.cab, Setup.exe, Setup.ini, and a few other files. I would run the setup.exe at the target and ultimately, I'd see a testexec.exe that I could run.  Now, at my development station, in the deployment directory, I get a folder labeled 'Volume1' (I'm not sure how it gets its name) tat contains the folders bin, license, and supportfiles.  The bin folder contains a 'dp' folder and a 'p0' through 'p19' folder.  I don't know where these are coming from.  If I copy 'volume1' to a CD and try to install on the target, all I see in the install directory (it IS using the directory I named in the deployment) is the sequence file and a few other misc files.  The dll doesn't make it over, I don't see the testexec.exe - it's just way off.  Any suggestions as to where to start?  Were there significant changes to the deployment tool?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,612 Views)

>Were there significant changes to the deployment tool?

There were major changes to deployment in TS 3.5- the method to create the installers changed almost completely so that we can support including NI drivers with an installer.   

The deployment utility now supports spanning multiple volumes so that if you have an installer larger than a single CD you can split it into two CDs.   If you are only using a single volume you can just burn everything under Volume1 to a CD.

The folders dp, p0..pn represent parts that make up the installer.   Dp is the developer part, which contains any sequences, code modules or other files included in your distribution.    The p0..pn are parts of the TestStand engine, NI drivers, or support installers such as the CVI runtime engine.   This directory structure must be preserved for the installer to function correctly!

> If I copy 'volume1' to a CD and try to install on the target, all I see in the install directory (it IS using the directory I named in the >deployment) is the sequence file and a few other misc files.  The dll doesn't make it over, I don't see the testexec.exe - it's just way >off.  Any suggestions as to where to start? 

Did you get any warning during your build?   It is possible that the deployment utility may not be finding the files correctly because they moved location from your installs of TS 3.1 to TS 3.5.    Look carefully at the Distributed Files Tab- check that the files you are missing are listed in the source view.   If they are then change to the destination view and insure that the files are going to the correct destination.   If the files are not present open your workspace and insure that the workspace can find the files.

-Rick Francis

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,603 Views)