NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment Nightmare

I am developing in two computers... with TFS source control...

computer 1

c:\x\workspacex\project x\

Vi folder

sequence folder

workspace file

computer 2

c:\y\workspacey\project x\

Vi folder

sequence folder

workspace file

i have the senquences as a relative path under project X....

i can deploy on computer 1 but not in computer 2 ... for some reason there are some absolute paths hidden around there that i cant modify or something like that....

it would be cool if the deployment engine will let you look manually for the file to fix it....

this is a nightmare

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,262 Views)

Hm, i am not sure if "deployment" is the correct term here. NI has a clear definition of "deployment": Once you finished developement and want to distribute (deploy) your application to other systems.

I would call your situation "code sharing" or "code distribution" rather than deployment.

Nevertheless, i see that you don't have the modules for your steps in a subfolder to the sequence file. In order to get to the modules, you have to move a folder up before going into the module folder.

Each time your inserted a code module in the sequence, you should have been asked if you want to add this using an absolute path, include the directory as search directory or a relative path. The last option is only available if TS can create a relative path. If the path to the module is not a subfolder(hierarchy) of the sequence file, the option for relative paths is not selectable.

That being said, i assume that ALL your code modules are using absolute paths. Please check that.

Also, you might consider using search directories instead as these do provide the option of system specific settings.

But of course, relative paths are the best option, but it is your project setup and discipline if you work with them throughout the whole project. Your current setup seems not to promote the use of relative paths.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,243 Views)

i am using relative paths

i can open my sequences in both computers and  i am able to run them fine because i have the correct search directory. but for some reason in one computer i can not build the Deployment and in the other one i can.

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,232 Views)

Ah, ok, so i had a misunderstanding here. Sorry....

Do you use the same build script? Or do you configure a new one?

Does the Deployment Utility bring up errors when you try to run the script?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,226 Views)

is not finding some project files.

i added some of the screenshots of the calls... on the sequence editor it finds the vi and i am able to modify it..it does not gives out any error...

but at the moment of building it it doesnt find it?

it does not make sense. or may have an error somewhere... i am deploying from the workspace file. i dont know if the workspace file has some paths inside or something like that.

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,221 Views)

It seems that your folder "LabVIEW code" is part of the search directories. Is that true?

Can you verify that the search path is correct on the affected system?

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,209 Views)

it is part of  my search directories... i

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,204 Views)

Did you include code modules in your TS project?

If you check the "Distributed Files" tab of the Deployment Utility, do you see the VIs listed there?

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,170 Views)

I was able to deploy and all the files pack and it sends them to a directory specified by me...

but now if i open that sequence  it will call the Vi's from the old location and will not call the new packed vis on the image directory

CLAD, CTD
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,158 Views)

Sorry, but i have a hard time to understand your last post.

This is what i understand:

1. You are able to create a distribution package (installer?) on both machines now.

2. You install your package on one of the developer systems. Why do you do this?

3. If 2. is correct: You still have your "old" search directory active. As search directories are worked through top down, i assume that your new location as search directory is listed below the old one. So we have "expected behavior".

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,148 Views)