NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging : stepping into substeps

Hello,

I'm creating step types under TS2010/CVI2010 and I'd like to fullfill these two conditions :

- For a matter of maintenability, I do not want the future users to be able to directly modify the parameters passed to the code module (I created step type properties and graphical interfaces)

- I want to be able to easily change these parameters for all instances of a given type (in case of a function prototype evolution)

The solution I found is to use substeps to call the module : the module adapters is set to "none" for the code module and the step calls the DLL function using a post step.

But this solution has a drawback : to debug this kind of substep, I cannot directly step into the code module. I need the open the right file in the adapter project and set a breakpoint in the right function. This is rather a long process.

So my questions are :

- Is the substep solution a right answer to my problem or did I miss another solution? 

- Is there any way to directly step into a substep?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Stephane

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,840 Views)

1. If you're trying to prevent users from changing parameters why not just load them at run-time from a file?

2. No

CTA, CLA, MTFBWY
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,790 Views)

There is no feature for stepping into substeps. In the typical use case, the user of a step type is not necessarily even aware of the substeps so generally does not want to step into them.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,781 Views)

Setting a break point inside the code module of substeps, can be a workaround.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,748 Views)