NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom step type with LabVIEW Express VI as Default Module locks up TestStand

I want to create a custom step type with a LabVIEW Express VI as the Default Module.

I create the custom step type, click "properties", designate LabVIEW as the adapter, click "Default Module...", then, in the "Edit LabVIEW Call" dialog, I click "Select Express VI" and TestStand locks up.

Any ideas on where I'm going wrong? Any workarounds or other ways to do this?

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,774 Views)

Hi Crelf,

I followed your instructions and was able to create the custom step type (no issues)

i tested it and it works fine! (I used the DAQ Express VI)

Using TS 2010 and LV 2010.

Regards,

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,751 Views)

Hi crelf,

What version of TestStand do you have? What version of LabVIEW?

How are you defining the custom step type? Is there a particular reason you're using a custom step type instead of the "Action" step type? Try dragging the Action step type over to your sequence. Then in the Module tab, you can select "Select Express VI" in order to choose from a list of LabVIEW Express VI's. 

Kelsey W.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,735 Views)

@kelsey-W wrote:

What version of TestStand do you have? What version of LabVIEW? 

TestStand 2013, LabVIEW 2012.

@kelsey-W wrote:

How are you defining the custom step type? Is there a particular reason you're using a custom step type instead of the "Action" step type? Try dragging the Action step type over to your sequence. Then in the Module tab, you can select "Select Express VI" in order to choose from a list of LabVIEW Express VI's. 

Creating an action step works fine - it's only when I'm making a custom step type. I'm setting up a palette of step types for a customer, so they have easy access to a handful of pre-configured express VIs.

My process:

1. Create the custom step type
  2. Click "properties"
  3. Designate LabVIEW as the adapter
  4. Click "Default Module..."
  5. Click "Select Express VI"
  6.  TestStand locks up

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,729 Views)

@Rodéric wrote:

I followed your instructions and was able to create the custom step type (no issues)... i tested it and it works fine! (I used the DAQ Express VI)

Hmmmm. Thanks for that - maybe I'll need you to do some contracting for me 😉

I'll take a look at your sequence tomorrow, and get back to you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,728 Views)

Hi crelf,

From the Edit LabVIEW Call Dialog Box where you click "Select Express VI", can you click anything else without the TestStand environment freezing up? For example, can you click the "Create VI" icon or the "Browse for VI" icon?

Does TestStand freeze up indefinitely or just temporarily? How long is it frozen for? Do any error messages pop up? How do you get past the lock up?

I was able to repeat the steps you outlined with no problems, so it should work in theory. Has this behavior always existed for you? That is, has this ever worked without TestStand freezing up for you? Is there anything that recently changed about your system setup? 

Kelsey W.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,710 Views)

Also, do you have any patches on the LabVIEW 2012 install? Use the NI Update Service or the link below to install the f5 patch. 

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-development-system-2012/3655/en/

You should also consider upgrading to LabVIEW 2012 SP1. If you have the Standard Service Program (SSP), you can download this upgrade for free from our website. 

Kelsey W.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,706 Views)

Hi Kesley - obvious it's supposed to work, but it's not for me for some reason. Just to be completely clear, this is what I'm trying to do (see attached video). And this should work, right?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,688 Views)

@crelfVO wrote:

@Rodéric wrote:

I followed your instructions and was able to create the custom step type (no issues)... 

I'll take a look at your sequence tomorrow, and get back to you.

Yep, your sequence seems fine, althought that doesn't show me the custom step type. Thanks for your help though.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,686 Views)

Hey Christopher,

I just sent you a private message to get a few configuration files from you so we can investigate this, but I think one of the Express VI configuration files might have become corrupted. If you can reply to my PM and send me the files, we can determine for sure.

If it is file corruption (and if anyone runs into this in the future) a possible workaround would be to delete files with the name "ExpressMenu" from the TestStand Cfg directory. TestStand will recreate these files when it is relaunched, and this could resolve the corruption.

We would really like to see your files though, to confirm this is the case and also so we can determine why the corruption might have happened.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,675 Views)