NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom instrument-dll (c#) - Why NI Max / 488.2...

Hello,

i created some instrument dlls with c# for lan and gpib-instruments. They are compiled with Agilent-IO-Libraries-Visa but the dlls are also running in teststand with NI-VISA.

Now there is also NI-Max- What is the advantage if all instruments appear in here? The lan-instruments can be added to the VISA-TCPIP but i cannot add my gpib-instruments as the hardware is not compatible.

Question is: If i want to use also NI labview for controlling the instruments is it then needed that the instrument is shown in MAX or can i just use the visa-string to send commands to all instruments.

And: What is the advantage of installing NI 488.2 ? Is this needed by labview if the gpib-instrument should be used?

Thx

BR

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,618 Views)
If you are using IVI, then you would use either MAX or Keysight's equivalent to configure them and select the instrument specific driver to use. The GPIB instruments should also be visible. If they are not, you probably need to enable tulip support. You would need NI 488.2 if you are using an NI controller. Intimately, it sounds like you are not. Not sure why you use something else when you are using all NI software.
Message 2 of 4
(3,615 Views)

I dont use IVI. The functions are hardcoded SCPI-commands.

It is an Adlink USB->GPIB-Controller with a separate configuration-tool.

I am not sure if this can be shown in MAX.

Do you think after enabling tulip the adlink-controller should be shown in max?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,611 Views)
I have no idea about adlink. Not exactly mainstream in my experience, especially if you are using LabVIEW and TestStand.

And why not use IVI? It's been the standard for quite a few years. Keysight even pushed for the IVI-.NET as one of the standards.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,605 Views)