NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Sequence Editor in Labview

NI said in TestStand product description :
Can the developer customize the Sequence Editor? Yes. The TestStand 2.0 Sequence Editor is available to customize via the TestStand API, in the same way as the Operator Interfaces. This is especially useful if creating custom development environments.

I didn't find any custom Sequence Editor in Labview as there is for Operator Interface.
Did anybody develop a simple Sequence Editor in Labview. My needs are :
- selecting a step from a defined list
- editing step sub-properties
- changing steps order with the mouse (dragging)

Jean-Louis SCHRICKE
CTA - Certified TestStand Architect (2008 - 2022)
CTD - Certified TestStand Developer (2004 & 2007)
CLD - Certified LabVIEW Developer (2003 & 2005)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,267 Views)
Hi,
the best place to start is to look in the examples
directory under the \Examples\SequenceBuilderTool

it'll give you a road map to follow
as it allows you to build a sequence from another sequence (effectively your list of steps)

Hope that helps

p.s. Remember, if you distribute this onto another machine, then you need a developer's license for that machine too.

S.
// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,267 Views)
Thanks for your answer Sacha.
I already saw this very "little" example.
This is not what I consider as a customized sequence editor.

I feel that to get a custom sequence editor, everything has to be developped from start.
There is nothing comparable to custom operator interface...

Jean-Louis SCHRICKE
CTA - Certified TestStand Architect (2008 - 2022)
CTD - Certified TestStand Developer (2004 & 2007)
CLD - Certified LabVIEW Developer (2003 & 2005)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,267 Views)
Hi Jean,
customising is one of those "personal" things. Unfortunately, you'll only get glimpses on how to implement sections of you custom sequence editor. There's so many approaches, and little tools that you might want to use, it would be unreasonable to cover all of them in multiple sequence editors as examples.

Sorry

If there's some specific questions on your implementation, then don't hesitate to ask.

S.
// it takes almost no time to rate an answer Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,267 Views)
Hi, i'm really interested by this question too ?
Have you had others precisions or answers from other people or are you still at the same point ?

Thank you
Thomas DENIS
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,268 Views)
Has anyone posting on this forum come up with a solution for this?

I am in basically the same boat.  We want to use teststand to code our test sequences because of it's immense flexibility, but at the same time we want our customer, the testers, to be able to customize their test sequences without all of them having to be teststand programmers.  We are wondering if there is some sort of labview based sequence editor that has only a subset of teststand development tools, maybe just acess to step types defined in the full dev suite.  That would provide a lot of flexibility to provide the sequence author a subset of step types for tools to build their sequence, but not necesarily have to know the full dev environment, or even coding for that matter.  The coding of the steps themselves could be left to the software devs, and the coding of the sequences left to the user.  Seems like this would be a real good way to have a user friendly and flexible product.  Anything out there like this?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,095 Views)
TestStand certainly provides this capability.  However, because this is such a broad task, it is difficult to provide a description or even an example Sequence Editor tool.  Aside from the example provided with TestStand, I am not aware of any simple or full featured tool for creating Sequences.  There are specific examples for programmatically creating SequenceFiles, Sequences, and other components that make up a test sequence.  However, these have not been compiled into a single tool.  For those that are wanting to create their own Sequence Editor tool, I can provide some suggestions.

(1)  It is simpler to create Steps, StepTypes, Sequences, and SequenceFiles based on already existing templates.  Rather than programmatically creating any of these objects from scratch, it is easier to copy existing objects and then customize the copy of the objects.  Creating these objects from scratch involves defining many properties that may be the same for most objects.  Creating a base template objects involves less overhead.

(2)  The TestStand User Interface library will also save alot of time.  An example is trying to Execute a SequenceFile.  An Execution object also requires an Event Handler in order to run properly.  Many of these operations are wrapped up into the User Interface Manager controls.  Morever, the Operator Interface controls provide the ability to customize so that you could start a Sequence Editor tool from preexisting examples.  The following tutorial describes the implementation of Custom Commands in LabVIEW to add functionality to the Operator Interface:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/9796c70d7c40c309862570ad005aeb56

If you have specific questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Tyler T.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,071 Views)
I also wanted to add that a requirement for a Sequence Editor tool is the TestStand development license.  The development license is required to modify and save Sequence Files, which is what a Sequence Editor tool performs.  This is why the Sequence Editor is installed with the TestStand development license, but not the TestStand deployment license.

Regards,

Tyler T.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,044 Views)