NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical Problem - COMException "unknown error"

Hi All,

I purchased TS 2013 and use VS2012 on OS 7 32bit

I developed my user interface and I constantly have a COMException "Unknown error" - A first chance exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' occurred in System.Windows.Forms.dll

even when I use TS User Interface examples.

I found out that the issue haven't been solved at http://forums.ni.com/t5/Measurement-Studio-for-NET/System-Runtime-InteropServices-COMException-occur...

I attached a print screen image to show exception details

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,460 Views)

There are many reasons why a COM error can occur. It is unlikely that your issue is related to the graph control issue.

Does this happen with the sequence editor on your machine as well or just your UI? Do you have another machine you can try and run it on and see if you get the same issue (to make sure it's not an issue with the installation of your OS)?

This is a first chance exception. Does the error get caught and handled? What happens if you aren't running in a debugger, do you see any error messages or does this only show up if you are debugging?

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,446 Views)

Hi Doug,

It doesn't happen with the sequence editor only with .NET examples of NI.

The exception can being ignored by VS and the program will run properly but I need to debug other exceptions.

I don't use graph control.

I don't have another license so I cannot try it on a different machine.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,439 Views)

There are some known and handled exceptions on startup for the TestStand UI controls. You might be encountering these. If so, just say "Continue" in visual studio when it breaks on these "first chance" exceptions and say "Pass exception on" when it prompts what to do when you continue. Then you should be able to continue to debug your application. Another option is to startup your application external to Visual Studio then attach to the already running process from visual studio once it's gotten past the startup part of its code.

Hope this helps,

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,419 Views)

Hi Doug,

Thank you for your time,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,367 Views)