From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating useful result 'Views' using default TestStand schema

I am new to the TestStand schema and databases in general. 

I am in the middle of creating a test infrastructure, and have been able to check off the following steps:

- create the MySQL schema (MySQL Workbench + AWS) using the TestStand SQL script provided

- Link TestStand with the database and save results to it

But I see that in the tables in the schema (UUT_RESULT, STEP_RESULT, PROP_RESULT, PROP_NUMERICLIMIT) the way to clearly see step results means a 3-4 step SQL query. 

Ideally, I would like to see the results as in the UUT Report created after the test completes, see attached "UUT Result Snap.jpg". 

How can I create some useful views from these existing tables, so that I can cleanly see the numeric or string data and the test limits in the same row? Is there anything I can do from TestStand logging to make this better? Anything already present I can leverage? 

Regards,

Asad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,573 Views)

Asad,

Can you please clarify the end-result that you are looking for?  Do you want to see things that are being logged to your database in tables such as the report?

Are you hoping to modify the SQL database schema?  Are you modifying the report?

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,479 Views)

I started by using the default TestStand schema but I didnt like the way the tables were displaying the numeric and string results.

Ideally I would like to see them simply like in the report generated at the end, especially with the Data, High Limit and Low Limit. 

So I thought maybe I can create some views. 

But I haven't had too much luck with that, so I have set off to create my own custom schema.

Only looking to create a Results_UUT table and Numeric and String Results table at the moment.

Asad

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,477 Views)

When you state "TestStand schema" are you referring to the database options in TestStand?  For example, I can see that there is a Oracle, MySQL, Generic Recordset, etc.  Are these the schemas that you are modifying?

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,471 Views)

Yes. I am creating my own custom schema in MySQL.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,468 Views)

Ok, I see.  And after logging to this database, how are you viewing the contents?

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,464 Views)

I am using MySQL Workbench.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,462 Views)

I'll admit that I do not have any experience with that program, but if you are creating customized "views," then a lot will depend on the way that MySQL workbench reads the database that you are creating.  Once you understand this methodology, it is possible to manipulate the schema in TestStand to produce the visual look that you are looking for.

Based on the current way you are seeing it now, how would you like it to change as you are viewing it in MySQL workbench?  Are there things that need to be added? removed? moved around?

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,460 Views)

I have created a couple of tables in the custom schema in TestStand , and similarly in MySQL Workbench. 

I can actually now run a test and log results to the UUT Results table. 

But having some issues with the second table Numeric Results. 

I can click the 'validate' button and there are no errors.

But when logging results to the Numeric Results table I am getting the following error: 

Description: [MySQL][ODBC 5.3(a) Driver][mysqld-5.6.27-log]SQLBindParameter not used for all parameters

Any suggestions to debug this? 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,456 Views)

That looks to be an error that you are receiving from MySQL Workbench, correct?  If I had to guess, it looks as though you have violated one of the "rules" that the SQL schema expects to see.  In order to create a successful modification of a SQL schema in TestStand, you will want to look at some of the documentation for MySQL Workbench to construct your modified schema within the constraints of the method that is interpreting it at the other end (Workbench).

As a general rule, I would go back to the default template in TestStand and test each time you make a modification (save copies along the way to give yourself some milestones that can be reverted to).  In this way, you can experiment with what works and doesn't in your database program of choice (MySQL Workbench in your case).

As for issues with Numeric Results, be sure that it is using a compatible data type for your database (again you should see this in some form of documentation).  You may be seeing an error due to 2 different data types--one being used to populate the value within TestStand and the other type that is expected by your database schema.

Adam
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,454 Views)