From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a popup with an enumerator?

So, I have a bunch of equipment I need to run tests on, each with different parameters that I want to output to a csv file I'm writing to. The solution I can think of is to have a popup at the beginning asking which model is being tested, followed by a getState function of some sort.

I would like a drop down menu exactly like an enum ring in labview. Is this possible in teststand alone?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,315 Views)

unfortunately this is not possible with just TestStand.  So sorry.  You will have to use a code module.

TestStand is a scripting language.  It is NOT a full fledged programming language.  That's why it integrates so well with other languages.

Hope this helps,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
Message 2 of 4
(4,273 Views)

Thanks for an answer. It's a shame Teststand does not have that functionality - It seems like it's not too hard to impliment. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,254 Views)

You can put that idea on the idea exchange if you'd like.  They are always looking at  the ideas to see what should be in the next version/s of TestStand. 

I'd like to voice my 2 cents here though if that's ok:

Although I agree that it would be a simple thing to add you need to realize that TestStand is a scripting language.  It simply defines what code to call and how and when to call it.  Even the message popup step is not native to TestStand.  If you dig into the message popup step (the one with the buttons and response ability) then you will find that it is actually written in C.  If they were to add more functionality to it, such as your beloved drop down, and then they were to add all of my cool ideas: radio buttons, ability to change font and color for only a couple words, etc... then it would grow into this big hairy maintenance nightmare.  Also it would be so complex that only those with a doctorate degree could use it.  At this point you are pretty much coding.  I prefer they keep it simple and that when I do need that functionality, simple as it may be, I will just create a code module to handle it. 

🙂

However, I am one voice and posting your idea on the idea exchange allows the community to speak collectively on what they want.

Regards,

jigg
CTA, CLA
testeract.com
~Will work for kudos and/or BBQ~
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,241 Views)