From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure TestStand step execute time?

I'm using TestStand 4.0.  I want to view how the TestStand Synchronization (Rendezvous, Lock..) execution, but the TS trace arrow at the left side moves down too quick,

is it possible to configure the step speed?  I would like to change it very slow and  I can view how it execute.

Regards

Samuel

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,439 Views)

From Chapter 2, Loading and Running Sequences, of the Using TestStand manual (available in <TestStand>\Doc\Manuals):

If you did not see the execution pointer, select Configure»Station Options to enable the tracing option. On the Execution tab, enable the Enable Tracing and Allow Tracing into Setup/Cleanup options and use the Speed slider control to adjust the tracing speed to the level you want. Click OK to close the Station Options dialog box.

Message 2 of 5
(3,429 Views)

Hi Callie;

I am play with this sequence:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\TestStand 4.0\Examples\Synchronization\LockDemo.seq

Here is the result for my PC:

Disable tracing:                             UUT1 = 4.03 Seconds;     UUT2 =  4.02 Seconds.

Enable Tracing at Fast Speed:     UUT1 = 33.37 Seconds;   UUT2 =  33.29 Seconds.

Enable Tracing at Low Speed:     UUT1 = 33.34 Seconds;   UUT2 =  33.28 Seconds.

I close all other application when I do this test. It seems significant difference during disable tracing but no difference between High and Low speed.

Ideally, I can set the tracing as slow as possible, so I can view how the sychronization works. But I can't find how to do it.

Regards

Samuel 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,405 Views)

Samuel,

In most cases, you can control the tracing speed through the station options execution tab as Callie described.  However, this example is actually overriding your preferences that you have set.

If you open the sequence file, you will notice that there are several sequences, not just MainSequence.  The sequences called ProcessSetup and ProcessCleanup will run at the beginning and end of your test, respectively.  If you look at ProcessSetup, you will notice a few ActiveX\COM steps that call the TestStand API to change the UIMessageDelay.  It is this delay that controls the speed of your tracing arrow.

In your case, there are two ways to change this behavior:

1. In the second step of ProcessSetup, there is an input to the UIMessageDelay property that is hardcoded to 700 right now.  This means that the delay will be 700 milliseconds between each step.  If you would like to increase this delay, you can type in the number of milliseconds you would like to wait.
  2. You can delete the ProcessSetup and ProcessCleanup sequences to recover the origninal behavior; this will allow you to control tracing speed through the dialog.

I'm sorry that this example caused such confusion.  Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Josh W.
Certified TestStand Architect
Formerly blue
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,387 Views)

Hi Josh,

Your explanation makes sense,  I can change the Tracing speed as slow as I want.

I wrote a Labview code and modified the sequence file, all the execution are written to a log file. I would like to post those file for other TestStand learner to share, but I can't attached those file to this post.

Regards

Samuel

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,372 Views)