From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare two sequences loaded in a C# code module.

Although the differ is not in the menu of a custom UI by default, you could add your own menu item (or configure a tools menu item) to launch <Program Files>\National Instruments\TestStand <version>\Bin\SequenceFileDiffer.exe.

The differ is included in the custom editor license (the TestStand home page has recently been updated to clarify that).

Message 11 of 19
(1,580 Views)
Hi Juergen, Our sequences are stored on a server, zipped with all related files and folders in one file. This zip file has a version and is stored into a folder with read write privileges for the designer of the sequence. The operator of a test systems on the production floor downloads a version from the server to start testing. The zip file will be unpacked and all files are put into the correct place. The sequence file will be overwritten each time during the download. We want to know if there is difference between the sequence file stored on the server and sequence in the folder of the testsystem for the same version before overwriting the sequence. Is there is difference the existing sequence file will be automatically renamed and the designer of the sequence gets an email to warn him. So for this reason I one to be able to compare two sequences automatically in a C# code module. Best regards
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 19
(1,564 Views)

Hi James,

I found the page that you had mentioned. I found two custom sequence editors mentioned. One the TestStand Development  System Custom Sequence Editor and the other is TestStand Deployment system Custom Sequence Editor.  I couldn't make out the difference between the two. Could you help me understand whats the difference.

http://www.ni.com/teststand/devcompare.htm

http://www.ni.com/teststand/depcompare.htm 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 19
(1,558 Views)

I would guess that the development licenses is only for your development system only and therefore you would force users to use the custom editor rather than SeqEditor.

Whereas the Deployment is for your target system. Therefore this would seem to suggest that although you could do some edits etc on the deployment system you would not beable to use the diff tool.

Regards

Ray

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 19
(1,554 Views)

My understanding is that there is only one "NI TestStand Custom Sequence Editor License" and that it is listed in both tables only because it applies to both, depending on how you look at it.

Thus, with each NI TestStand Custom Sequence Editor License, you can use the differ.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 19
(1,537 Views)

So the only real answer is to try it!

Regards

Ray

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 19
(1,522 Views)

Hi ccds,

If this would be my task i would open the both files as Byte Stream (Win Api) and

compare each byte with the other one.  This can be done in a few lines of code and

this is also very fast.

If all Bytes a equal you can be sure that both files were the same !!

If not send the files via E-mail to the designer. And hope that this guy as a licence to FileDiffer,

were he might open it on desktop maschine to findout whats wrong

Regards

Juergen

--Signature--
Sessions NI-Week 2017 2016
Feedback or kudos are welcome
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 19
(1,510 Views)

Hi Juergen

Thanks for the tip, I will try it...

Best regards

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 19
(1,506 Views)

I thought you wanted to compare sequences not sequence files!!

Regards

Ray Farme

Regards
Ray Farmer
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 19
(1,502 Views)