NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete TestStandService.exe

Due to lots of uncontrolled resets in my PC, I decided to install all the NI installation (which included TS3.5 &  TS4.1) and to make a clean installation of only TS4.1.

The normal uninstall and new installation did not improve the situation, therefore, I decided to make a clean start.  Instead of formatting the disk I  edited the registry and  removed any regedit entry that included the words National instruments, Teststand etc.....  In addition, I deleted all the files left over after the uninstall.

The only file left that I could not delete is TestStandService.exe, in directory       National Instruments\Shared\TestStand Version Selector

Any suggestions of how to delete it?

Any thoughts regarding this process?

Thanks

Rafi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,344 Views)

You need to stop the service before you can delete it. You can stop it using the Control Panel called Services underneath the Administrative Tools section of the operating system. Look for "National Instruments TestStand Service" or something similar.

Keep in mind that deleting files like this rather than uninstalling is very likely to leave things around (not everything installed is installed to the program files directory, there are runtimes and shared components too). You might want to do a repair after you reinstall and reboot to ensure that everything really gets updated.

-Doug

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,332 Views)

Rafi,

It is not recommended to simply start deleting files and registry keys. Instead, I think the better option would be to try to find the reason your PC restarts uncontrollably and why you think it is a problem with TestStand.

Is the restarting behavior consistent with a particular situation? Are you in the sequence editor when this happens? Does the PC restart during edit-time or run-time? Are you in a specific sequence file when the PC restarts? If the PC restarts during run-time of a specific sequence file, does it happen at the same step each time?

Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,324 Views)

Hi Rafi,

I wanted to follow up and see if you were still having any problems. Were you able to uninstall and reinstall TestStand 4.1 successfully? Is this problem resolved?

Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,256 Views)

yes it did....formating the HD and start all over again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,247 Views)

Thanks for the reply Rafi,

Please feel free to post on the forums again or call in for support if you run into any problems in the future. 

Manooch H.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,231 Views)