From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI TestStand

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Telnet session be passed from 1 vi to the next in test stand

Solved!
Go to solution

Using Test Stand and Lab View, Each one of my tests open a telnet session, runs a test, close the session and then is repeated in the next step but running a different test.  Therefore I get a pass/fail for each step.

Is it possible to open up a telnet session in the setup area of Test Stand (using a VI created in lab view) and pass that telnet session to the other Vi's in the Main area of test stand.  The test steps (the VI's) in the main would not have to open up a session saving time. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,368 Views)
Haven't worked with telnet sessions, but using instruments it's possible to have a vi open the handle to the instrument and pass that handle into a variable in TestStand, then I pass that variable into any vi that uses that instrument. When the sequence is done running and I'm ready to shut down, I close the handle.
Why do geeks think Halloween and Christmas occur on the same day?
Because 31oct = 25dec!
Message 2 of 11
(5,343 Views)

I prefer to use a functional global VI in LabVIEW with three functions or states "Open Session", "Get Session" and "Close Session" and keep all my references on the LabVIEW side and not pass them back to TestStand.

Omar

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,333 Views)
Would you be able to send an example?  Being new to NI this would be very helpful.  thanks for the replies. 
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,331 Views)
Read up on "initialized shift registers" if you are new to LabVIEW
Omar
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,328 Views)

I meant to say

Read up on "un-initialized shift registers" if you are new to LabVIEW

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,324 Views)
Here's some code that is several years old and updated to LabVIEW 8.6. It's a custom Telnet step. I don't recall if I ever ended up using this or finishing the debug. You'll have to modify the type file yourself if you want to use it. If I recall, I did this code so I could have multiple telnet sessions open to multiple UUTs as I was running a parallel model.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,310 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pinheiroh

Thanks to everyone that responded.  To solve my problem I created a VI that opened a telnet connection.  In that Vi I made the Telnet out a control which I mapped to a connector.  I placed that VI in my teststand setup area.  In teststand I made the telnet out a FileGlobal variable (called it Telnet_Connection).  Next in the Main area of teststand I place a VI that runs a test over the telnet with out opening a connection.  I made the Telnet in a control and mapped it to a connector in the VI.  In teststand I made the telnet in the same variable as the telnet out created in the setup, Telnet_Connection.  Ran the test and it worked.  My biggest problem was not knowing how to create a variable or pass a variable in Teststand.  Thanks again for your help. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,290 Views)

Hi,

Can you please send your VI and Teststand sequence?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,680 Views)

Thanks for the advice on this! It totally worked for me.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,133 Views)